Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

its almost time for WINE

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

its almost time for WINE

Postby Jersm » Aug 23, 2012 1:13 pm

This year my grandparents decided they will not be making homemade wine with our grape vines. Sooo i decided i will be making my first batches of homeade wine this year. I might be asking for a little advice later on in the process but ive done a lot of resarch. :mrgreen:

they have taken over that section of the fence nad are spreading even taking over the tree the other side of the fence. I will end up having to get a step latter to get the grade out of that small tree.
Attachments
photo13.JPG
photo11.JPG
Jersm

Re: its almost time for WINE

Postby Eeyore » Aug 23, 2012 2:38 pm

You might want to consider some pruning too. :lol: :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Jersm » Aug 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Eeyore wrote:You might want to consider some pruning too. :lol: :lol:

lol i will acutally now that you mention it. I dont acutally take care of them or ever even water them or anything but they have been there for years and actally support the old fence. :mrgreen:

im sure by now they have tapped into the natural spring since its ALWAYS soggy back there a natural slow moving river kind of.
Jersm

Postby Dumbo » Aug 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Lucky you. I came close to doing grapes this year. Very close.

Get your hands on an old grape press.

Next year when you clean that mess up, get your hands on those nets they sell to protect them then make me some grappa (*shiver*) and vino.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Aug 25, 2012 2:28 pm

If you have ever been in wine country - Canada, USA or Europe ,you will see that grape vines are pruned heavily to keep the actual vines controlled to a couple of spurs on either side of the stem. This allows the fruit to hang along the supports and be within easy reach for pickers.

It sounds like this grape vine has been long established and gone way out of bounds in its growth. The best thing you can do is start researching proper vine pruning techniques and give this beast a good haircut (although I would also consider doing it in phases if it has been neglected for years, to prevent shock). I am not any kind of a grape vine expert, but I do know they do best when kept in some semblance of order.

The one thing I would do is remove the vine from the neighbouring tree asap. It is potentially damaging the tree with its vigorous growth and will be too hard to pick anyway. If it is located on an existing fence (you mentioned it holds up the fence) I would try to corral it back to the fence area again for ease of management over the long term.

It certainly looks like a happy vine, and with some grooming it should produce well for you for many years!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening