Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Good tree to block neighbours house

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Good tree to block neighbours house

Postby treetoronto » Aug 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi,

The back of my property backs half on to my neighbours house and the other half backs onto their backyard.

We have been having issues with them, they hacked away half of our Wisteria among other things. They claimed that they wanted a backyard and not a forest since the have some large trees. They blamed us for having to interlock their backyard because there was not enough sun. After having a confusing (their bad english) and heated argument with them they eventually stopped. Rationalizing was pointless. But we have spoken with the city regarding raising the height of the fence (which belongs to us and on our property) and would like to plant more trees and large shrubs to block them out completely. I want a think screen at the back of my yard.

What would be good trees and shrubs to plant? The area is quite shaded but there is a gap where we have an ornamental tree that we would remove and replace with a very fast growing tree.

Any ideas?

I don't want to see them. I want it very private!

Thanks
treetoronto

Re: Good tree to block neighbours house

Postby B_BQ » Aug 26, 2012 9:25 am

I'm not sure trees are what you want. Think of all the leaves falling, in your yard and your neighbours - a war in the making which I'm sure you don't really want.

After increasing the height of your fence, my suggestion would be to plant something like Emerald Cedars. Buy some that are already a good size and plant them fairly close together. Lots of water will be needed until they're established. I planted six 4' Emerald Cedars 5 years ago - they're now at least 10' high and are almost touching each other - exactly what I wanted.

There are other evergreens suitable for hedging too, but it seems to me you're looking for something that grows really tall, really quickly!

Others may be able to offer more suggestions.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Peggy2296 » Aug 26, 2012 10:12 am

I totally agree about the cedar hedge. It will rapidly create a near-solid screen without overhanging the neighbour's yard - or taking up all the space in yours - and causing more strife. Rather large specimens are usually quite reasonably priced as well.
Peggy2296

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 26, 2012 9:56 pm

A good idea,you can try.
hotsummerone

Postby countrychic » Aug 27, 2012 6:24 pm

I have the same problem, except my neighbours are not unreasonable like yours. I just want privacy. I have mature maples at the back, but in winter there is no privacy, so a landscaper recommended groups of: Yellow Ribbon cedar, Spartan Juniper and Yews. Also in between these Ninebarks (which grow very quickly!), Dogwoods and in front, some Blue Globe cedars. This will make a pleasing variety of colour and interest. All these are for part shade.
countrychic

Postby Heidi S » Aug 27, 2012 10:59 pm

See, I am the poor twit with a forest 6 inches from my falling down fence. Neighbours wanted a 'meadow' feel to the garden and planted all kinds of quick growing pine, birch and poplar saplings a few years ago. Now I am pruning the limbs up to get under the trees lining my fence and the fence is now toppling over.

Luckily this is my neighbour to the north and they are not blocking my sun, but seriously, it is driving me nuts, especially since they have now put the house up for sale and moved away with no one taking any care of it.

I went over one day with my sawzall, and trimmed a few things, like the lilac that was reaching over my driveway and touching my roof and the assorted other trees that are too close to the fence. Oh and they planted not one but two willows in the yard, which are suddenly taller than the house and if their roots end up in my basement or drain tile, I will sue!

If I wasn't down in Vancouver looking after my unhealthy Dad, we were going to try and remove the old fence between us and rebuild, after shoring up their 'garden' which was built up against the existing fence by piling extra dirt up 2 feet. Sweet people - just absolutely clueless!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Return to Plant Talk