Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Apple Picking Time

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Apple Picking Time

Postby Dumbo » Sep 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Apples, where for art thou oh forbidden fruit that cast man out of Eden due to a nosy woman. Or as the Ferengi say, Wooomon.

Fleshy pomaceous fruit of ripened ovary,
you propagate asexually,
you are self incompatible.
Who knew? The complications of a simple fruit.

Fruit of fertility
or are you fruit of eternal youth?
Food for the dead?
A cure for cancer? The common cold?
An apple a day.

Sheez, where did the wierd-o poetry and Star Trek reference come from? Kids, let this be a lesson to you. Don't do drugs.

types_of_apples.jpg
types_of_apples.jpg (54.75 KiB) Viewed 2079 times

APPLES!
It's coming on apple picking time!

What are the best apples? Tell me all your apple secrets, and secret apple recipes handed down to you from your grandmothers.

What apple tools do I need? I only have an apple corer thingy. Do I need more stuff?

Is it just me, or have you also noticed that you could fill a huge bag with apples for 2$ when you were a kid, and now it's like a 1-litre bag for 15$? Crazy or what? I should grow an apple tree.

So the types of apples: What type should I get for different things? Apple sauce, apple pie, regular eating apples, candy/caramel apples. Bet some of you even have some good apple muffin or apple bread recipes. Do people here can apples? Is that even worth doing?

Tell me everything you know about apples.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Apple Picking Time

Postby B_BQ » Sep 02, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm working, so it's nice to take a break when I hear an email come in, even though it's only a notey from the forum!

I grew up in England and was exposed to a few different apples. My favourites were Crispin, Cox's Orange Pippin and Russets.

We used to use a different type of apple for cooking; in fact it was my favourite to eat as it was so sour. That was called the Bramley, which apparently is not available on this side of the pond. Even now it is the preferred apple used to make pies and apple sauce.

After we came here we came to like the good old MacIntosh. It's a nice crispy, crunchy apple, that is as good to eat raw as using it for a pie or sauce. When I make, (infrequently), an apple pie, apple sauce, (frequently), I always use fresh lemon juice and zest; it seems to give the apples a 'lift'.

If I had to choose one apple though that has everything - great taste, great crunch, juicy, eaten raw or cooked - it would be the Honey Crisp. I don't bother with any other variety now.

I shall look forward to hearing what others like.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ron Evers » Sep 02, 2012 3:42 pm

Golden Delicious, Mutsu & Northern Spy, good for eating if you like a nice firm apple & for pies.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Dumbo » Sep 02, 2012 3:45 pm

I only know Macintosh & Cortland from picking apples

I never compared any of them, nor can I tell one apart from the other based on look or taste.

Oh yeah, and of course the Granny Smith apple, which I think is the green ones.

I am apple dumb.

And I think the window for picking Cortland may be small that i seem to recall. I could already be too late.

A lot of apple names, like what Ron mentioned, I never heard of.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Sep 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Gravensteins were the apple of choice when I was a kid but they aren't very plentiful anymore. Maybe they don't ship or keep well and are only available on the east coast.

I don't can apples, I freeze them. I've got a good recipe for a dutch topped apple pie. I'll pass it along if you like.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Sep 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Eeyore wrote:I've got a good recipe for a dutch topped apple pie. I'll pass it along if you like.

Will take it. If it's not a bother to transcribe or anything. Don't want to cause anyone work...

BTW, what makes something dutch? And what's a dutch topping? Keep in mind, I'm apple/baking dumb.
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Sep 02, 2012 4:07 pm

I'd forgotten about the Mutsu. That also is a very good apple, a little on the tart side, but deliciously moist. As Ron mentioned, Northern Spy is a good apple too. Very firm and crunchy. I don't care for Golden Delicious.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 02, 2012 4:56 pm

There are so many varieties of apples and everyone prefers something different. My favourite apple is Ambrosia, I think it might be a cross between a Gala and a golden delicious, looks and tastes like it anyway. I like Spartans for baking moreso than MacIntosh's, which can be mealy or mushy. I liked Granny Smiths when I was younger, but now I'll only use them for baking. Honey Crisps are great but they aren't available year round. Pink Lady is a good flavourful variety if you like a bit of tartness in your apple.

I don't like the Delicious (Yellow or Red) either...grew up eating them because my parents thought they were the best. Fuji apples are alright when they are fresh. This is the main apple in the grocery stores when we go to Hawaii. It must be the Japanese presence that dictates that...I paid over $2 for one Fuji apple in a grocery store in Waikiki...try topping that one, Marc.

Here is a recipe for Apple Crisp, adapted from a Martha recipe:

Apple Crisp
Preheat oven to 375.
6 cups sliced apples (peeled and cored)
1/2 cup or more sugar (add more if apples are sour)
1 Tbs plus 1 tsp cornstarch (I usually add 2 full Tbs)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg (my additions because it's apple crisp)
1/4 tsp salt
Mix in a bowl and transfer to a greased baking dish.

Topping:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (add a bit less if using salted butter)
6 Tbs butter, soft
1/3 cup sugar (you can add a combination of brown and/or white)

Stir the first four ingredients together. Cream the butter and sugar and add the dry ingredients...with your fingers, squeeze topping together until it resembles streusel (clumps). Sprinkle over fruit and bake in preheated oven for one hour.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » Sep 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Ambrosia, Gala, Jonagold and Fuji for me . Never saw in the stores or heard of the Honeycrisp. Macs , Delicious,..... I don't turn down any of the fresh , eat out of hand apples.
I love a slice of apple pie with a big slab of old cheddar, or a good glob of vanilla ice cream...Unfortunately I've never done any pie making so have to rely on the generosity of others to enjoy it .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Sep 02, 2012 5:38 pm

davefrombc wrote:I've never done any pie making

Neither has my wife. She thinks cooking is a town somewhere in China.

I'll have to put everyones reply into the eating or cooking category and see what apples I can find around here. I will try Donna's recipe once the initial fear has worn off. ;)
Dumbo

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence