Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

weigela - varigated

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

weigela - varigated

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm going to take out my Purple Smoke Bush and was thinking about replacing it with a Weigela. I like bushes to have some interest when not in bloom so I am thinking about the Weigela Forida Variegata or Midnight Wine. Has anyone had the varigated one revert back to solid green foliage? (I have seen many varigated Euonymus revert back to solid green) I live in Zone 6 - hot dry summers! ;-)
RubyTuesday49

Re: weigela - varigated

Postby B_BQ » Sep 04, 2012 8:06 am

I have several variegated Weigela. For the most part they've stayed true, with the odd branch reverting to green leaves. I cut that branch out. I have one with deep burgundy leaves too, which is lovely.
I like Weigela!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby countrychic » Sep 04, 2012 9:14 am

You'll need to look at the mature size of the plants. The Midnight Wine is small, 12inches, whereas the variegated can grow to be 1mx1m. I have both, the midnight in the front of a bed, and the variegated is for screening with other large shrubs.
countrychic

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 12:08 am

I see that Midnight Wine is a small shrub (12") but then there's Wine & Roses (burgundy leaves too) which is 4 -5 ft tall and wide!! I want to do this NOW but I think it would be better to wait til Spring! ;-(
RubyTuesday49

Postby countrychic » Sep 05, 2012 8:59 am

Now is the best time to plant. Get out there and do it! :lol:
countrychic

Postby B_BQ » Sep 05, 2012 9:11 am

There really isn't a reason not to plant it now.

Just get a really nice big hole dug, amend the soil if necessary, and get going. There's still enough time left that the plants will settle in before winter. Just keep them watered and they should be fine.

I have four variegated, pale green & white leaf, with very pale pink/white flowers. It's lovely.

I also have the Wine & Roses, which will grow to the same size as the variegated variety, but with very deep pink/fuschia flowers.

Strangely enough I also have the Midnight Wine. I had no idea it was going to stay so small though. Definitely a variety that you would want to put at the front of a border.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks you guys! I'm so excited, I'm going to a few nurseries PDQ to see what they have that I want! WoooHoooo!!
RubyTuesday49

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm

Tah Dah! When I make up my mind to do something - I do it! Went out and cut down the smoke bush - dug up the root ball - went to the nursery and bought a Wine & Roses Weigela (3 gal) - and planted it! It was supposed to be another moderately warm day but turned out cloudy and perfect temp for transplanting! I don't know if it was pruned after flowering so I'll just be patient and leave it alone til next year. I wouldn't prune it after transplanting anyway.
RubyTuesday49

Postby countrychic » Sep 05, 2012 10:49 pm

well done! And just like that, it is all done! Now you can see what else you want to change, lol
countrychic

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Ha Ha! You're right CountryChic - I can't tell you how many times I've said I was finished and don't need to buy any more plants!! This Spring I ripped out the grass on the boulevard at the front of our property and put in large rocks, crushed rock and . . . . . . flower beds! I put in lots of perenials, some shrubs and then annuals (petunias & fr. marigolds) - I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Next

Return to Plant Talk