Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

lawn problems

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

lawn problems

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 06, 2012 12:26 am

Zone 6 - hot dry summers. I only have a small lawn in the front yard but I am finding that I have a lot of "Creeping Charlie" taking over one part of it and the other is starting to have a lot of some grass-type weed - lays flat with seed heads. (not sure what it's called) I'm not sure if I can get rid of these weeds - chemically or digging them up. I sometimes wonder if I would be better off killing off the weeds and then rototilling the whole lawn and reseeding it. Then I could plant a drought tollerant type of grass - I'm also trying to be more water-wise.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Re: lawn problems

Postby Jersm » Sep 06, 2012 6:36 pm

it is getting pretty late in the season though.

maybe just let winter kill them off and deal with any sprouting weeds later on. soon enough the lawn will be covered with snow.
Jersm

Re: lawn problems

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Ummmm - not where we live! Most of the time there's no snow but when it does snow, it's usually gone within a few days! - That's why we moved here from the BC Northern Interior! 4 Seasons but less winter & more summer!! ;-)

I'm not sure what kind of grass weed it is - (not the kind you could smoke LOL) it is darker green, not as coarse as quack or crab grass - lays really flat so the mower doesn't touch it. I would rather not use a heavy duty poison - I may try vinegar . . . . .
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Return to Plant Talk