Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Australian Garden Shed Needed

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Australian Garden Shed Needed

Postby AdamB » Sep 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi all,

I need help please.

I am looking at setting up a small garden shed at the back of my block of land.
I have looked at this:
http://www.cheapsheds.com.au/product/55 ... pshed-f83/
in the smooth cream colour.

They have a flooring frame that goes with it that I can use but thought it would be nice to buy ply wood locally so I can also use it as a floor. BTW, the area I am looking at is sloping down. I'm also considering If I’d have to use a brick or concrete to level it out.

What do you guys think? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have another 2 weeks or so before I probably decide to get this.

All the best.
AdamB

Re: Australian Garden Shed Needed

Postby Countryboy » Sep 07, 2012 8:36 am

Any kit sheds assume that they will be set on a level surface/floor. U can either level out the ground and set them on it *the best way*, or build a level floor for a base.

A level floor would consist of 2"x6" floor joists with plywood on top of them. And this whole assembly would need to be leveled up with 'shims'... brick, block, patio stones or whatever. The disadvantage to 'building up' a floor is that u have no smooth entrance at yr door, but will have to 'ramp up' from the ground level to the floor level.

None of yr wooden floor material should come in contact with the ground . . ever. Always leave an air space underneath it.

Best of luck. :) This project will be great practice for u! 8)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby B_BQ » Sep 07, 2012 9:16 am

I'm not sure I would want a shed with a flat roof - a heavy load of snow could do a lot of damage.

Is it a metal shed? If it is then it might get a few dings pretty easily.

When we decided that we needed a shed, because we downsized from 3 garages to 2 and needed storage space for all our 'stuff', we bought a basic shed from Home Depot and tarted it up a bit. It's on level ground, and sits on blocks. It's low enough that we don't need a ramp to put the lawn tractor in.

By the time it was finished it cost more than your Oz shed, but it's easy on the eye, and fits in well with the rest of the garden.

~BBQ
DSC_0007.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby AdamB » Sep 13, 2012 1:45 am

Thanks guys.

Yep, will level it out on the ground and thought the foundation where most of the effort is going to be tough. It was a flat roof garden shed made of steel. Snow wouldn’t be an issue as I live in sub tropical area in Queensland, AU. :) Hey, what you’ve got is beautiful. Did you paint it or the color goes with it when you bought it?
AdamB

Postby B_BQ » Sep 13, 2012 7:35 am

Hi Adam:
I must have missed the bit where you told us you were in Australia! :lol: No snow!
Yes, we painted the shed ourselves. The picture is a bit washed out. The colours are pretty basic: white trim, Benjamin Moore exterior paint, colour French Vanilla. We picked up the black wrought iron hardware from a local store.
Did you decide to go ahead with your shed?
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby AdamB » Sep 18, 2012 1:33 am

Believe me we have the most sublime winter :lol:

Cool choice of colors for the paint.

B_BQ wrote:Did you decide to go ahead with your shed?

Not yet as I will have to check first to see if there are any standards or building codes in my local area that applies to garden sheds. There might be country or city codes that apply and that would be the determining factor to decide if I should go for the concrete footings/foundations (e.g. depths, heights, thickness).
AdamB

Postby Dumbo » Sep 18, 2012 2:55 am

Yeah I recall reading about AUS and some of their codes even for a simple garden shed. I think it has all to do with the area you are in and the likelihood of cyclones in the given area. Something to do with "shed-safe" codes (or something like that). But the manufacturer "should" be up on requirements and the proper bracing etc.

Here a manufacture bought shed will get no attention at all. In AUS I have read about inspectors even failing manufacturer bought sheds and people having to retro-fit them or get rid of them.

http://shedsafe.com.au/

Glad we don't have that here. I mean, there are codes and city by-laws, but nothing like there for a simple garden shed. But then again, we don't have the yearly/random tropical cyclone coming down on our heads. Just the regular ice-storms. ;)

I hope you are not in an area that actually requires an "Accredited Shedsafe" garden shed. If so.... $$~Cha-Ching~$$
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Sep 18, 2012 7:32 am

Hi Adam:

I'm still not quite sure whether I hate too much heat or too much cold!!!!! I hate both.

Too much heat is just about bearable as long as there's no humidity and there's a breeze and/or water close by, and the airconditioner is working well in the house! :roll:

Too much cold is just about bearable with about four layers of clothes and no wind,(for about 10 minutes anyway), and the heating is working well in the house!! :roll:

We do have rules and regulations for building sheds in Ontario. They probably change from county to county.

Our next-door-neighbours put in a corner shed, about 12 x 12 I think, and they had to get planning permission from the city to pour a concrete foundation. Then they had to get the concrete foundation inspected, then the shed inspected once it was finished. Lots of $$$$$$$ After that they tiled the floor - just like a kitchen! :shock:

When we were deciding on a shed size we discovered that 10 x 10 did not need a permit and/or inspection. We didn't pour a concrete floor but had a plywood floor built and the whole thing sits on concrete deck blocks. We saved a lot of money by getting the 10 x 10 rather than larger. No permits, no inspections.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Countryboy » Sep 18, 2012 10:34 am

According to the Ontario Building Code - which is used throughout most Provinces in Canada, anything under 100 sq ft requires no permit. Sometimes these sheds are 10'x10', but they are mostly 12'x8'. Commonly we would lay 2'x2' patio slabs for a floor.

All sheds come with a bottom plate which can be anchored to the patio slabs *or any other foundation* with rawl plugs. Not so necessary in sheltered areas but definitely a plus if the shed is exposed to winds.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Dumbo » Sep 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Countryboy wrote:All sheds come with a bottom plate which can be anchored to the patio slabs *or any other foundation*

Yeah, when I looked over the basic and general AUS stuff, that is an inspection item which can get you a pass or fail in the "windy" area's. So their foundation codes are a bit different. as well as the "regulated" amount of anchors, thickness of the shed material and so forth (among other things). But this "appears" to be dependent on the area of AUS he's in from what I understand of it.
Don't think I want to go diving into AUS garden shed codes ;)

But it appears you just can't buy any pre-fab shed like you can here. Different area's require different everything in different parts of AUS, right down to the thickness of the shed and thickness of the anchors.

His area will dictate the requirement as he stated.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas