Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Restarting lawn

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Restarting lawn

Postby Dcb71 » Sep 08, 2012 5:37 pm

What is the best way to restart a lawn. Tear up everything in the fall or do it in the spring after last frost? It has raspberries growing throughout and the root systems are extensive.
Dcb71

Re: Restarting lawn

Postby Eeyore » Sep 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Raspberries are a PITA! You'll have to get rid of all the roots. It really doesn't matter when you do the ripping up. You can do it this fall and prep for planting in the spring.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Sep 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Everything I've read always said to re-sod/reseed in late-summer or early fall. But it may be a little late now considering you will have to apply chems and wait for that to dissipate. So yeah, I would re-sod or re-seed in early spring, and rip up what you can now, and apply round-up (if you are into that) to kill off whatever grass and weeds you have now.

But be sure to reseed in early spring before the weeds can get a foot hold and choke out the new grass.

Normally they say to reseed in late summer or early fall cuz that's when weeds tend to get less of a foot hold on a new lawn.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Countryboy » Sep 11, 2012 9:57 am

I mowed down an established Fern bed this summer. I will roto-till it, level it and seed it as late as the end of October.

Our first killing frost will be sometime in the first week of November.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 02, 2012 9:52 pm

I would think that it depends on what Zone you're in. I understand it's recommended that you reseed in the Fall. I just did mine - didn't rototill it but I did think about it. I put down topsoil, seeded, raked, put down compost - then watered it every day - 2hrs. It's now 10 days later and I can see grass coming up nicely, so I will slow down on the watering. We have had lovely warm weather but today it is 10 degrees (celcius) COLDER than yesterday!!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Return to Plant Talk