Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

weigela - varigated

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: weigela - varigated

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 07, 2012 11:55 pm

I know I don't have to worry about it until next year - but I'm curious about pruning a weigela. Most of what I have read seems to say: prune branches back after flowering by about 1/3 and prune 1/3 of the old stems right down - close to the ground. Any pearls of wisdom from past experiences?
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby orchidguy » Sep 09, 2012 8:19 pm

RubyTuesday,

I don't know if it is the colder zone I live in, but other than nipping an occasional errant branch or two, all the weigela's here (especially the variegated and coloured leafed cultivars) are all well behaved and keep somewhat on the smaller side (as far as shrubbery goes) and are not trimmed to any extent.
I have never removed 1/3 of the old stems, and all are quite bushy, without looking crowded, and some of the cultivars have been here for 15 years or more.
I have found that they are not heavy feeders, and are quite tolerant of most soil types, although I have better blooms on those that are planted in partial shade.
Just a few observations only, and can only tell you what is working for me

Good Luck
orchidguy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks Orchid Guy! I had read about pruning Weigela but maybe I will just hang in there and see what happens. After I planted my Weigela and sat enjoying my garden, I then realized that the BBQ gazebo blocks some of the sun. ;-( However, it will get at least 4 hrs of sun in the summer months. AND I will just have to not worry about it for now. Do you have a Wine & Roses? I'm hoping the leaves will have a nice dark colour.
Off subject: do you grow orhids? I have 5 - 2 yrs. Have had them bloom again and again. Love them!!
RubyTuesday49

Postby orchidguy » Sep 09, 2012 11:08 pm

RubyTuesday49 wrote:Off subject: do you grow orhids?
RubyTuesday49 wrote: Do you have a Wine & Roses?

Certainly do. Did spectacular this year too. I believe I've posted a pic of Wine & Roses in one of the annual soups here. I've just transferred all my pics to a new computer, so will try to find a pic of it this week

Got my first orchid in '76 when I was a kid, and have a greenhouse dedicated to them
orchidguy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 09, 2012 11:42 pm

So, Orchid Guy - I look forward to seeing a pic of your Wine & Roses! Where is it located on your property? and how much direct sunlight does it get? It's confusing because a local garden centre told me "Weigela doesn't bloom on old wood" but most of the info I have read on the Net says "blooms on year old wood". I do keep files on things because my memory doesn't always serve me well. ;-)
RubyTuesday49

Postby orchidguy » Sep 10, 2012 11:30 am

The one in the photo is located with a southern exposure, but only receives dappled sunlight because of the huge coniferous trees.

If you look in the center of the shrub border at the top of the pic, you will see its location.

The pictures are a few years old, and I believe that the weigela was planted 2 years prior
wei.jpg

whole.jpg
orchidguy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Love your property! I had a 1 acre lot in Mid Prov. BC but now alas I only have a city lot and a workshop in the backyard takes up a lot of space!! ;-( Do the leaves on your Wine & Roses turn more purple at different times of the year? I have seen the leaves quite dark purple but can't recall if it's when it gets lots of light or not so much. Also - does yours bloom once or twice a year?
RubyTuesday49

Postby orchidguy » Sep 11, 2012 11:04 am

RubyTuesday49 wrote: Do the leaves on your Wine & Roses turn more purple at different times of the year? I have seen the leaves quite dark purple but can't recall if it's when it gets lots of light or not so much. Also - does yours bloom once or twice a year?

The leaves are usually darker than is indicated in the picture.
I have other wine and roses planted on the property and those in full sun have the darkest leaves. The weigelas planted in shadier parts of the gardens bloom later, and the individual blooms last more than 3x longer than their counterparts planted in the sun.

The Wine & Roses, Monet, Red Prince, Minuet, Caricature, Java Red, Fine Wine, Polka and Dark Horse bloom twice in a growing season here, if conditions are favourable, while the others have only bloomed once thus far.
The Weigela coraeensis (sp??) is one of the few species that can bloom here a second time in a season, and is magnificent when in bloom, as it is about 18' high
orchidguy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Wow! Great info - thanks Dan. I will have to wait and see what my Wine & Roses gives me next year. I can't believe that one of the Weigela grows to 18 FEET!! We have had a very nice hot summer with about 1/10th of our usual rainfall. I put in drip irrigation this year and I'm very pleased with it - still have a few tweaks to do. My grapes and berries (black, rasp. & straw) have produced so well!! I just created 'another' small flowerbed so now I can scheme and dream. ;-)
RubyTuesday49

Previous

Return to Plant Talk