Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Miniature Garden

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Miniature Garden

Postby kelly_m » Sep 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Okay....so working in a graden centre and talking to people about small spaces, I've come to the conclusion that I would like to build a Mini garden........using dwarf varieties....

it would be english garden-ish....using dwarf irises, delphs, grasses, some lower growing varieties of daisy, dwarf astilbes, and the such.

Problem is.......all my gardens are on a larger scale, so incorporating a mini garden into them is going to be a challenge. I could add onto a garden and earmark a portion for it, or create a new spot.....but needing to blend it in!

Any suggestions?
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: Miniature Garden

Postby Eeyore » Sep 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Post some photos of your exisiting gardens and any other possible spaces you have
available. It will help me visualize.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Yes Ma'am! will do that...just not right now! LOL

Kthinking her big sis is awful bossy!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Sep 13, 2012 9:58 pm

:mrgreen: Somebody has to tell you what to do!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Sep 13, 2012 11:43 pm

Eeyore wrote::mrgreen: Somebody has to tell you what to do!

If you smacked her a few time while you said that it would be more entertaining.

BTW, is there someone in this forum that does landscape designs and stuff like that for money? Or maybe a pro with a website around to poke through of work previously performed?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Heidi S » Sep 14, 2012 10:43 am

Holy Hannah, is landscape design hard work - in my Master Gardeners' course last winter, we had the opportunity to work with a certified landscape architect for 2 weeks, and worked on a real client's plan. After he gave us a good lecture about the 7 important issues to be included in a proper plan, he gave us each a copy of a blueprint, and the clients wishlist and asked us to design our ideal garden/yard for the clients. He allowed us an unlimited budget to give us the artistic freedom to have fun, and then collected them to mark. Then he came back and gave us the true story, and showed us slides of what he recommended and why, and what the clients did with the budget they actually had.

It was fascinating, but we all struggled with the scope of the job despite our unlimited budget option. Scale and flow were the hardest to achieve, along with managing water around the house. The house we were 'working' with was a newer build with just a lawn, surrounded by a perimeter of trees along the lot edge. So the options were somewhat overwhelming. In a real life situation, we would have had to do the hardscaping first especially to deal with drainage as the lot was on mainly a clay soil and had some interesting slopes within the space.

What i learned though was how to start and work through the plan logically, completely different to how I approached the garden I have now - I just plunked new beds down where I felt like it, overplanted, and am working on retrofitting hardscaping as I mature along with the house and garden. I am a very emotional person and tend to do things on the fly with only limited planning. My next garden - when we sell up and move back to the coastal section of BC someday, will be better thought out, I hope!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Dumbo » Sep 14, 2012 3:03 pm

ah good to know there is someone in this forum with a bit of hands on. I picked up a bunch of books on all this, but it was all gobbly gook to me with circles drawn on graph paper and other silly stuff.

I can't just plunk anything anywhere like many people do here. But I guess this makes for another topic... Or maybe one of the mods want to pull these few posts out and create a topic for me on how to landscape etc
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby kelly_m » Sep 14, 2012 7:20 pm

I guess it would depend on whether you want professional or experienced opinions!

because, unless you are trained...like Heidi has done...then it is based on experience and personal preference!

Okay...back to my dilemma...and ignoring Lyn.....I will give a wordy pictoral....since I am too tired and lazy to go looking for pics!

Okay....approximately 1/2 acre. sort of pie shaped peice of land. Front >>>>large driveway and detached 2 car garage with wooded by the road. Veggie garden is beside garage. up that side is a wasteland (used to be a fenced in play area now just a really big sandbox full of weeds!) following that up the North side of property is my acid garden.....a burm built on pine needles.....that attaches to my big back garden. Corner garden fenced in with split rail. Across the back is Privet along the fence...let it go rampant so it is 8+ feet tall. across to the South East corner is my Drought garden......Curly Willow surrounded by rock gardeny dought tolerant plants. Cedar huge hedge along the South fence. back to the road. so...by the description it won't be anywhere around the perimeter...and if you have not noticed, scale is big!

Front yard.....small compared to the property.....but...6 mature trees....4 maples, 3 paper birches. Huge rock background for a shade garden at the base of the biggest maple. Surrounding the house is garden......along the front porch, around the side across to the back around back.....etc.

Back yard is big.....have dogs and kids. Though the dog plays in the yard more than the kids.....

That's what is ezxisting.....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Sep 14, 2012 10:25 pm

From the sounds of it you don't have room for a miniature garden. The scale is all wrong. If you really want one get a birdbath and do one in that or maybe you can use the "wasteland".
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Sep 15, 2012 9:26 am

I tend to agree with Eyeeore. Your space may be too big for a miniature garden. It would be lost!
I like the idea of a large container, maybe raised up a little. You could have it close to your deck, or patio area, or front door, or close to a bench and enjoy it up close. Any old interlocking brick lying around, or cedar rails, that you could use to make a raised bed? You could scale it to your house size rather than your yard size.
There are some gorgeous miniature/small plants around these days.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Next

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas