Garden Projects and Ideas - Gardening Forums

Ogopogo Lawn / Garden Ornament

Need advice about building a raised garden bed, double-digging or installing an irrigation system? This is the place to find the help you need!

Ogopogo Lawn / Garden Ornament

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 14, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm trying to find a 3 pc Ogopogo Lawn / Garden Ornament. For those of you who don't know what an Ogopogo is - it's a water serpent (in Okanagan Lake - BC) ;-) I had a 3 pc one but I left it outside in the winter and even though we don't have super cold winters, the glaze on it is flaking off. Apparently I should have taken it in for the winter!!! ;-(
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Re: Ogopogo Lawn / Garden Ornament

Postby Eeyore » Sep 15, 2012 9:20 pm

I know what you are talking about. Doesn't it drive you nuts when you know somnething exists but you can't find it when you want it! It's probably a bit late in the season for most garden centers but you could ask if they plan to get them in next season. Can you sand the finish off the one you have and paint it?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 21, 2012 11:32 pm

It has a "glazed" finish which is chipping off and basically it seems to be crumbling. I did put some cement floor paint on it - but it won't fix the problem. I thought about trying to sand it down but as I said whatever the material is "underneath" - it seems to be crumbling. It's such a cute lawn ornament - looks like "Ogopogo" (a mythical lake serpent from the Okanagan Lake). I will just keep looking . . . . . . .
RubyTuesday49

Postby Countryboy » Sep 22, 2012 9:32 am

I've seen them in metal, too. So maybe keep an open mind abt the material of yr sea serpent. Also, ceramics, concrete, and other 'cast' ornaments usually come from Latin America. And are available mostly at gift shops thru importers.

I don't know if u have a 'blacksmith' in yr area. But any blacksmith/artisan can easily make one for u. A lot of them will already have a template for these 'becoming popular' decorations. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Those are great ideas - I will just have to be patient and keep looking for a replacement. I LOVE the one I have but sadly his days are numbered. ;-(
Attachments
Ogopogo 2.JPG
He's so cute!
RubyTuesday49

Return to Garden Projects and Ideas