Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Peppers

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Peppers

Postby Dumbo » Sep 14, 2012 3:16 pm

So I already started looking into what to plant next year in the garden. A bunch of diff peppers are on the list. When trying to find peppers I found that I would have to order from a bunch of diff companies since I couldn't find one single supplier that has them all.

Example:
-Scotchbonnet Orange Pepper, henryfields.ca
-mcfayden.com, just found this out now, will not sell to people any more. There goes my Blue pepper :/
-Ghost Pepper, http://www.thompsonmorgan.ca/
etc etc

I mean, I would have to order from 5 or more diff companies, each with a min order or 10 to 20$ for the shipping rate. Doesn't make sense to buy a few seeds for 30$.

Is there a single company in Canada that does peppers? Or are people really stuck wasting time and money going to half a dozen companies?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Re: Peppers

Postby davefrombc » Sep 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Look through the offerings of this Oregon company for hot pepper seeds Marc.
http://seedrack.com/08.html

Here's another hot pepper source in South Carolina
http://www.pepperjoe.com/

BC company with some pepper offerings
http://www.westcoastseeds.com/product/v ... s/Peppers/
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Dumbo » Sep 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks, Dave.
Some of their seeds are double the price for the same ones here. I mean I don't care about paying 3.50$ versus 8$, it's just the principle of it.

I see they have the Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet, which I have been trying to find here in Canada w/ no luck. I figured the red/orange one was the same... Just different ripeness. Guess I was wrong. So that's a plus. Love the yellow one. Was looking for this one. A lot Caribbean hot sauces use this one.

Thanks again Dave!

If anyone finds anything else, feel free to add to this. I wasn't planning on ordering from the states but guess I am seeing that Canadian seed houses aren't that great, so no choice.

EDIT:
Thanks again. Just saw your "edit". Yeah, the westcoast one caught my eye already earlier today. Just don't want to order from half a dozen places.

Last year I think I ordered about 200 or so in seeds. I figure it will be the same (or maybe a bit more if I try diff stuff). Just don't feel like wasting half of that money just on shipping charges. Dominion is ok for that though, free shipping after X-amount of purchase. But they don't carry anything neat/unique that I'm looking for. But not all seed places offer free shipping as I'm seeing. Actually a lot are the opposite, the more you order the more expensive the shipping.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Sep 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Check Park Seeds as well..... or T and T....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Sep 15, 2012 12:49 am

Parks has a couple of interesting ones I haven't noticed before. That Atris Hybrid one looks like it would be fun to try. TY for the tip on that one. Looks like a giant Italian horn pepper.

T&Tseeds... not on my list to ever buy from.

Seems the American sites are the best so far. Guess there is no market in Canada for these. Or not enough for Canadian seed houses to bother with.
Dumbo

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 15, 2012 12:59 am

I just used a grocery store habanero. My season isn't long enough though; the habaneros didn't really stand a chance of growing to maturity. However, I also germinated seeds from those red pointy sweet peppers from Costco and they are producing like gangbusters. They look exactly like the store-bought peppers but are still green. I also started Giant hybrid Marconi and jalapeños from purchased seed.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Sep 15, 2012 7:06 am

True. I never think of doing that.
DonnaZn2SK wrote:red pointy sweet peppers from Costco

hm. It's not ringing a bell w/ me. But then again not all Costco's carry the same things I noticed.

Can't say I ever really noticed those Italian peppers in the stores. Never really looked. Now you got me on a mission :p
Dumbo

Postby B_BQ » Sep 15, 2012 7:33 am

Our own Smitty grows many different varieties of peppers. A lot of hot ones too!
If you talk to her nicely she may even send you seeds!
I've had good success with the 'hot' peppers, but not so much with the 'sweet' peppers. I still have a large jar full of dried habaneros I grew several years ago. Two pots, two plants, south side of garage, full sun, and got what seemed like dozens and dozens. They're still good - but even one makes a dish too hot, even for us!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Dumbo » Sep 16, 2012 11:12 am

B_BQ wrote:I've had good success with the 'hot' peppers, but not so much with the 'sweet' peppers.

I have no issue with any of the peppers hot, mild or sweet. Except for Bell peppers. For some reason Bell peppers do not grow here like they have grown for me on the outskirts of Montreal.

I noticed some other Ottawa area people here say the exact same thing. So I didn't bother with them this year.

Temp? Soil? Both? No clue. But since the soil I trucked in seems great I'll plant them next time, so I'll find out next year.

B_BQ wrote:I still have a large jar full of dried habaneros I grew several years ago. Two pots, two plants, south side of garage, full sun, and got what seemed like dozens and dozens. They're still good - but even one makes a dish too hot, even for us!

I tossed mine in the freezer, after seeding them and cutting them up. Freezing them takes some of the sting away versus drying that I have noticed. True for all hot peppers that I have noticed.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Sep 16, 2012 1:25 pm

That is because the capsisin is in the seeds and the white part of the pepper. When you dry them that is kept intact. When you freeze them you remove that part. If you still have any peppers left just set the seeds aside to dry. You should get good peppers from them.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening