Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Saturday, 15 Sept

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Saturday, 15 Sept

Postby B_BQ » Sep 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Nice and slow in the office this morning, so we decided to head down to The County.
That was after I got the washing done and hung it out to dry!
I particularly wanted to see whether any Honey Crisp apples had made it! Thank goodness, they did! We picked up a couple of small barrels, so I'll be spending a bit of time tomorrow peeling, coring and slicing, before freezing!
Then we headed to our favourite farm stand, just to see what they had! All the stalls were overflowing with beautiful produce, but I really only needed to pick up some small Butternut squash. They had some perfectly-sized ones for us - $1 each, so I brought four home. They're washed, and re-washed with a weak bleach solution, and they'll keep for months now.
Lunch out at the Milton Bistro. We both enjoyed our meal, and had a glass of local Reisling.
We enjoyed the Reisling so much we headed off to the Winery to pick up some more! Big disappointment - they didn't have any. We did a bit of tasting and brought home a couple of bottles of something else though!
Supper was simple and easy. I had popped a couple of chicken breasts into a simple brine. After rinsing and drying I sauteed them on top of the stove, with a bit of olive oil, s & p, fresh thyme and also fresh lemon thyme, and finished them off in the oven.
Meanwhile, there were a few asparagus, green beans, and sliced carrots to quickly cook. I also had some Black Zebra tomatoes so made a quick salad with fresh basil and a simple vinaigrette.
Everything turned out well.
It was a really great day. Perfect weather.
~BBQ
Cauliflower/Potato Soup - served at room temperature:
IMG_2911.jpeg

Roasted chicken breast with fresh thyme and veggies:
IMG_2914.jpeg

Perfect sized Butternut squash for the two of us - $1 each:
IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_2916.jpeg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Saturday, 15 Sept

Postby orchidguy » Sep 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Brenda,
Great to hear you've had a good day.
Supper looks great too.

Had a vindaloo tonight, with udon noodles. Used a new recipe, but much prefer the old standby recipe that I've used for years.
Veggies were asparagus, tossed in a bit of sambal, coconut and a touch of kecap manis. Simple but delicious
orchidguy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Vindaloo? YUMMM! Do you have a recipe? Interesting, Vindaloo with Udon Noodles - a mix of Indian & Japanese. Both yummy!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby B_BQ » Sep 16, 2012 7:40 am

Dan: I too made a vindaloo last weekend. It was a last-minute decision so I used the pressure cooker. It turned out really well and the meat was so tender. It was nice and spicy, with just a hint of vinegar. I didn't serve it with any rice or noodles though. I also made a veggie curry with chick peas. The two were more than enough to fill bellies. We were able to get another meal out of the leftovers!
RubyTuesday: Hi. Nice to know that there's someone else who shares a passion for spicy food. There's only a few of us on this forum who drool over the thought of a Vindaloo, Madras, Jerk made with Habanero, Thai!!! :lol:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby orchidguy » Sep 16, 2012 4:03 pm

RubyTuesday49 wrote:Vindaloo? YUMMM! Do you have a recipe?

Most of the work to this dish is the preparation, but it is a lot less time consuming than the vindaloo that requires all day simmering
I usually make a huge amount of paste, and jar it (have frozen it too) to have on hand

2-6 dried red chili's torn into pieces
5 whole cloves
1" cinnamon stick
4 green cardamom pods
about 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns (I use more, love their taste)
pinch mace
1/4 of a grated nutmeg
about 1 1/2 teaspoon of coriander seed (fresh coriander doesn't seem to work well in this recipe)
2 tsp garlic minced
1 tbsp ginger minced
3 tablespoons of vinegar (I prefer cider or white wine)
1 tbsp tamarind
squeeze of lime juice
1 Ib pork or beef cut into cubes
sunflower or peanut oil
2 large onions chopped
1 cup stock (might need a little more if too dry)
salt
pinch brown sugar
2 cloves garlic sliced
10 curry leaves or 1 1/2 tablespoons of curry powder/paste

Grind first 10 ingredients
put in bowl and add garlic and ginger paste/minced, tamarind and vinegar and make a paste
use about 1/4 (give or take) and rub on meat, cover and marinate in fridge for at least 30 minutes

After the meat has marinated, heat oil in pan, add the onions and cook for about 8 minutes on medium heat
Add remaining spice paste and cook for additional 5 minutes or so
Add about 2 tbsp of your stock and cook until it evaporates
Add your meat, and cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, until meat changes colour.
Now add the pinch of salt, the sugar and the rest of the stock.
Bring to boil
reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 50-60 minutes, until meat is tender
Meanwhile, heat some oil (low heat)in another pan and add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently until it starts to brown. Add the curry leaves/powder and cook for an additional minute
Add this to the meat vindaloo mixture
Usually serve this with basmati rice, but udon noodles work in a pinch
orchidguy

Postby Ron Evers » Sep 16, 2012 4:38 pm

Enjoyed your commentary & pictures Brenda.

I have a few Butternut squash in the garden. I never heard of washing them with a weak solution of bleach.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Sep 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Dan: Those ingredients do sound so good.
I tend to make a Vindaloo individually when we feel like it.
My basic recipe comes from Madhur Jaffrey. I'm not that fond of her personality, but boy she sure can cook. I've been a fan of hers for more years than I can remember.
This is her basic Vindaloo, (Goan-style hot and sour pork or beef).
I have a notation next to the recipe - 10 February 1991 - Excellent: V. Hot!

I now only use this as a basic, as sometimes I don't have all the ingredients, so fudge it a bit. (The italics in the recipe are my own comments - BBQ).

MADHUR JAFFREY

The Hindus and Muslims of India do not, generally, eat pork - but Indian Christians do. This dish, with its semi-Portuguese name suggesting that the meat is cooked with wine (or vinegar) and garlic, is a contribution from the Konkani-speaking Christians of western India.
Vindaloo, which may be made out of lamb and beef as well, are usually very, very hot. You can control this heat by putting in just as many red chillies as you think you can manage. Serve mounds of fluffy rice on the side.

Prep Time: 35 minutes Cooking Time: about 1 1/4 hours

Serves 6

4 teaspoons cumin seeds
2-3 hot, dried red chillies
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
7.5 cm (3 inch) piece of cinnamon stick
1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
5 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2-2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon soft light brown sugar
10 Tablespoons vegetable oil (Note: I NEVER use this much - only about 1 TBS)
175-200 g (6-7 oz) onions, peeled and sliced into fine half-rings
4-6 Tablespoons water, plus 250 ml (8 fl oz)
1 kg (2-lb) boneless pork shoulder meat, cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes Note: I also use beef and have also used chicken, but pork or beef is best)
1 x 2.5 cm (1 inch) cube of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small whole head of garlic, all cloves separated and peeled
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

Note: Lot of ingredients, but all can be picked up at either an Indian market or even the Bulk Store if you have one close.

1. Grind the cumin seeds, red chillies, peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds in a coffee grinder or other spice grinder. (Note: I have a designated coffee grinder just for spices - well labelled!!)
Put the ground spices into a bowl. Add the vinegar, salt and sugar. Mix and set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a wide, heavy saucepan over a medium flame. Put in the onions. Fry, stirring frequently, until the onions turn brown and crisp. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and put them into the container of an electric blender or food processor. Add 2-3 Tablespoons of water to the blender and puree the onions. Add this puree to the ground spices in the bowl. (This is the Vindaloo paste. It may be made ahead of time and frozen).
3. Dry the meat cubes with a paper towel and remove any large pieces of fat.
4. Put the ginger and garlic into the container of an electric blender or food processor. Add 2-3 Tablespoons of water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
5. Heat the remaining oil, (Note: I just add a tiny bit more!) in the saucepan once again over a medium-high flame. When it is hot, put in the pork cubes, a few at a time, and brown them lightly on all sides. Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and keep them in a bowl. Do all the pork this way. Now put the ginger-garlic paste into the same saucepan. Turn down the heat to medium. Stir the paste for a few seconds. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir for another few seconds. Add the meat and any juices that may have accumulated in the bowl, the Vindaloo paste and 250 ml (8 fl oz) of water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or until the pork is tender. Stir the pork gently a few times during this final cooking period.

Note: This sauce should be very thick; if it is too watery then cook it for a longer period of time. If it is too thick then add another Tablespoonful or two of water.

This seems like a monumental task if you're making it for the first time, but really once you get the hang of it it really does work in the time Madhur Jaffrey says it will! For a first-timer I would recommend going a bit easy on the chillies!!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby B_BQ » Sep 16, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks Ron.
I read that bit about washing them in a very diluted bleach solution but don't remember where I read it! I've never tried to keep Butternut squash for any length of time before, so I don't know whether it makes any difference at all! I just know that last year they kept beautifully for several months. What has been your experience? I imagine that where they are stored is important - not too cold, not too moist. I kept mine in the cold room in the basement but did wonder whether they would keep in a fridge, or an unheated garage. Do you know?
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Thank you Dan and B_BQ for the Vindaloo recipes!! I can't wait to try them!! I love hot and spicy foods! When we were in Thailand we took a cooking course - it was amazing! But we do find we have to adjust the recipes because we can't get a lot of the ingredients here - small city. ;-) Do you guys make Roti to go with it?
RubyTuesday49

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Dan - must try asparagus as you mentioned - with Sambal, coconut, kecap manis etc. Yum!!
RubyTuesday49

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence