Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

kitchenaid mixer

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

kitchenaid mixer

Postby jazz » Sep 16, 2012 9:38 am

i finally bought a kithenaid stand mixer. When i made my white cake that i have been making for yrs my cake didnt rise and it looked half cooked. My oven is fine. Can it be that we mix less with this mixer. Will try again with another dessert. Thanks. Any tips would be appreciated. Im hoping bbq has some thoughts.

jazz thanks
jazz

Re: kitchenaid mixer

Postby B_BQ » Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am

Hi Jazz:
I'm no baker! I use my KitchenAid for lots of things, including making bread, and almost always follow the recipe! I love it, except that I don't have the counter space to keep it out so store it in a low cupboard. It's heavy so I only get it out when I really need to! :roll:
I use my KitchenAid hand mixer a lot.
Donna may see this posting and jump in. She's a baker, and I'm pretty sure she has a KitchenAid Mixer too. She's an experienced cake maker.
Dan is our resident qualified food guru so he may also see this and can help.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby davefrombc » Sep 16, 2012 11:07 am

I'm no baker; but I do a great job of taste-testing pies and cookies :twisted:
I'm not much for cakes though.. Most have much too sweet icing on them, and I don't like overly sweet desserts.. My taste runs more to the semi-sweet and tart side in desserts.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Sep 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Is it possible one of your ingredients (flour, eggs or the levening agent in particular) is old? Also, perhaps the oven kicked out for awhile. Have you tested the oven for temperature lately? I know you say it is fine but given the results I had to ask if you've tested it lately. I REALLY need to do mine!
I really can't see it being the mixer unless it is not mixing enough.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby jazz » Sep 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks lyn. No for sure not the oven. But yu got me thinking when i get to about three quarters of my baking powder box this seems to happen. i just luv my new mixer but my cake tasted nothing and it didnt rise. not a cakey feeling just like an inch thick.

jazz
jazz

Postby B_BQ » Sep 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi Jazz:

From what you're saying, I think the problem is with the leavening agent. Both baking powder and baking soda lose their efficacy over time.

If you can afford the time and effort, then make two cakes - one with the KitchenAid and the other the way you made it previously. Just make sure all the ingredients are identical. Bake them on the same rack at the same temperature in the oven. Then compare

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby orchidguy » Sep 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Jazz

The mixer should not have much to do with the rising of your cake.
I usually only use mine when I am preparing a batter in large quantities, otherwise I usually mix by hand.

I would have to agree with the ladies on this one, and think this problem is probably either old leavening agents or if it is unusually damp, leavening agents lose their strength.
orchidguy

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Sep 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Brenda's right, I do have a KitchenAid Mixer, but I actually use my handheld KitchenAid mixer for all my baking needs. If it isn't your leavening ingredients, then I'm thinking you might have overmixed the batter? I know when I make a cake, I add the liquid and dry ingredients alternately and stop mixing right when they are all incorporated and not a second longer. With a stand mixer, you might be inclined to not watch it as carefully.

You say your oven is fine, but was it properly preheated? Did you open the door up at all during the baking process? Baking is such a science, and little things can throw it off. Try making it again using the same ingredients and with a handheld, and see if you get better results.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Sep 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Unfortunately Myrt is tired after 58 yrs of most of everything to do with the cooking/baking(I don't blame her...there are lots of things that I'm tired of as well). The deep apple pies with perfect crusts, white cake baked in a wooden box, Greek shortbread, etc., etc., All memories now. I bought her a Sunbeam Mixmaster the first year we were married so it is 57 plus yrs old & she still has it. I have had to take it apart several times & vacuum the flour dust out of it but other than that, it still runs nicely. She still has the original mix bowls altho has wound a few knives up into the beaters & got annoyed when I laughed at her.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » Sep 18, 2012 10:26 am

Can't understand how she'd get knives stuck in the beaters..... :oops: 8)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Over the Garden Fence