Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Tomatoes and Zuchinni

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Tomatoes and Zuchinni

Postby Eeyore » Sep 18, 2012 10:37 am

I have a honking big Zuch and lots of toms. We are having a going away party for the kids this weekend and was thinking I could use the zuch in a salad. Does anyone have a recipe for a Tomato and Zuch salad? Could I use a cuke and tom recipe and substitute the zuchinni?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Tomatoes and Zuchinni

Postby Heidi S » Sep 18, 2012 11:29 am

To be honest, I would compost the honkin' big zucchini and buy something smaller to work with. I find those zucchini tree trunks are dry, wooden and nasty to eat. At best they can be grated and baked into a sweet bread.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Sep 18, 2012 12:00 pm

I like to take huge zucchinis and use them like spaghettis... Halve, remove seeds and stuff with hamburger/rice /onion/ peppers/seasoning, then bake.
They're also nice sliced and used to make a "lasagna", substituting slices of zucchini for the noodles. Can't help with a salad suggestion for it, sorry .

Edit... The really big zucchinis have a tough skin , so when using them to slice for lasagna, the skin must be removed.
Last edited by davefrombc on Sep 18, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Sep 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Didn't think of "lasagna". That's a good idea!
I did think about grating and freezing it. Good point about it being dry.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Sep 18, 2012 3:18 pm

This zuke salsa is a big hit with everyone here. had to make 2 more batches:

http://www.food.com/recipe/zucchini-salsa-canned-11217

10-cups of zuke per batch. If you aren't canning it, just toss it after, or give it to the kids with a bag of chips and tell them to get lost and have a nice life.

EDIT:
The lasagna idea is good. I've had it before, but I think I had it with eggplant (can't really remember, been too long).

If you google this, try googling "Moussaka with zucchini". There are variation of this "Mediterranean lasagna" that use zukes instead of eggplant. It's very good.
Example:
http://greekfood.about.com/od/augratinm ... ka_kol.htm

The taste is much better with Bechamel.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Over the Garden Fence