Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Sad bean plants

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Sad bean plants

Postby Heidi S » Sep 18, 2012 1:07 am

Touch of hard frost last night and the beans all looked limp and lethargic this morning. Had to pull them all, but got at least 2 meals worth of lovely fresh green beans from the exercise. I love autumn, but the end of the homegrown veggies is always a sad moment for me.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Sad bean plants

Postby B_BQ » Sep 18, 2012 7:37 am

Oh no! Too early for frost, much too early. I love Fall too, but hate what comes after it!
My veggie garden is pretty much finished. Between now and next Monday I want to try to get it all cleaned out and tidied up. We're off to England for 2+ weeks on Tuesday and therell be enough work to do in the garden when we get back that any little bit I can do now will help.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Sad bean plants

Postby Heidi S » Sep 18, 2012 11:37 am

Sadly, it's not too early for frost here - our frost-free season is June 6 to August 23, and anytime after that it can happen. Most gardeners here look to the full moon cycle for warning about frost in August and it is usually accurate. We have been dancing on the cusp of Zero or colder overnight for several weeks now, and the outlying areas of town have all been bitten. I have been heating my greenhouse at night since the last week fo August. We have 20+ degree temp swings daily at this time of year. My begonias were also touched, and some impatiens too. It depends how much cover they have from other plants.

I love autumn - the best week for colour here is the 3rd week of September - the hills are all golden, and then it is gone.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening