Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

id like some Hypoestes care tips

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

id like some Hypoestes care tips

Postby nel3 » Sep 19, 2012 6:25 pm

i just got a Hypoestes at walmart today and im looking up on care tips for it. some sites say it needs light but constant watering. the tag in the 4 inch pot says lots of sun and little water. i read the plant likes full sun when filtered through shades which makes a perfect spot besides my Peperomia. my only question is the type of water needed to supply it with. some say rain water or dechlorinated water. rain water wont be possible but i do have dechlrinator as i have pet fish. would the same water i use for the VFT be sufficient for Hypoestes? the plant is currently 4inches height and 6 inches at widest point and in a 4 inch pot. when can i put it in a larger pot? 2 roots already are poking through the base of the pot. any advice is helpful as i like the appearance of the plant alot and would rather it stay healthy.
nel3

Re: id like some Hypoestes care tips

Postby Eeyore » Sep 19, 2012 9:38 pm

I would say yes to the water and if the roots are poking out it's time to repot. The plant is likely rootbound.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby nel3 » Sep 20, 2012 2:55 pm

thank you very much Eeyore i'll transplant it to today. how large do such plants get? i wouldnt want it in a 2 ft pot in the future but a 12-18 pot is what id be okay with.
nel3

Postby Heidi S » Sep 20, 2012 10:18 pm

General rule of thumb for potting up a plant, go one size larger pot per change. If the plant has a much larger pot to grow in, it will spend all its time filling the new pot with roots, so the plant above the soil will appear to do nothing for a long while. If the plant is in a 4 inch pot today, max 5 inch when you transplant - both you and the plant will be happy. Remember though, we are going into winter, and even house plants go into a stage of dormancy, so you won't notice much if any growth until spring.

There is really no need for any fertilizer over the winter months either. However, when you notice the days getting longer in February, you can start your new year's fertilizing - go halfthe recommended strength every two weeks until September and you will see lots of healthy growth.

Enjoy!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby nel3 » Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am

i dont have any 5 inch pot but many 6 inch pots. i dont really want to get it a massive pot for it but id like to know how larger the plant can get. apparently Pepperomia only need around 4 inched though mine is in 6 inches. i doubt i'll up the pot size for my peperomia anymore anytime soon.

i do have a soil quesrtion. how good is a 3 part equal mix soil consisting of sphagnum moss, black soil and perlite? ive been trying to get some composte into the mix but its not economical as they only have large bags. i dont have space to keep such large bags anywhere and they dont sell 5-10L bags of composte. ive had purchased such bags of mixed soil from the store but they never sell certail soils in small quantities for those that dont have an actual garden. i mainly use pots and 1 cubic foot of spahgnum will fill many pots and i can have 15 pots arranged inside my unit.

i do have a cyclamen plant that dried up several months ago, it all wilted and went brown. im aware it may gove gone into dormancy but can it come back if i start watering it?
nel3

Return to Plant Talk