Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Does this mean snow???

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Does this mean snow???

Postby Heidi S » Sep 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Always depends of where in BC you may be located though, Right Dave? Up here in the snow belt of BC, yeah, it happens, every year!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Sep 21, 2012 1:35 am

Yeah ... Down here we seldom get any of the white crap. Our seasons usually consist of different rain temperatures. If we do get any snow that lasts more than a couple of days , the northeners have great fun watching the news of Vancouver drivers playing bumper cars in it. Every few winters, we get maybe a foot of it .. The first 3 or 4 days it's best to stay off the roads. Then it's not too bad .. all the dodos are either in the ditch or the body shop for the duration of the slippery time .
Before the warming of the last 20 or so years , we used to expect a frost at night any time after August 15 up in Ft. St. James ( about 100 miles n/w of Heidi). We sometimes got a bit of snow after the middle of September but usually the first snow of any significance came on Halloween and a week or so of 40 below around Christmas/ New Years. One year we got 40 below in the middle of October, and another year we had a short snowfall on the July first weekend. I don't think they have had any -40, other than maybe a couple of days of it , in the last 20 years though , although friends up there tell of lots of days close in some winters. We've probably got the widest climate variations in all the provinces , from the rain forests here on the coast to desert in the interior and boreal forests in the north.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Big Smile » Sep 21, 2012 9:47 am

davefrombc wrote:Yeah ... Down here we seldom get any of the white crap. Our seasons usually consist of different rain temperatures. If we do get any snow that lasts more than a couple of days , the northeners have great fun watching the news of Vancouver drivers playing bumper cars in it. Every few winters, we get maybe a foot of it .. The first 3 or 4 days it's best to stay off the roads. Then it's not too bad .. all the dodos are either in the ditch or the body shop for the duration of the slippery time .
Before the warming of the last 20 or so years , we used to expect a frost at night any time after August 15 up in Ft. St. James ( about 100 miles n/w of Heidi). We sometimes got a bit of snow after the middle of September but usually the first snow of any significance came on Halloween and a week or so of 40 below around Christmas/ New Years. One year we got 40 below in the middle of October, and another year we had a short snowfall on the July first weekend. I don't think they have had any -40, other than maybe a couple of days of it , in the last 20 years though , although friends up there tell of lots of days close in some winters. We've probably got the widest climate variations in all the provinces , from the rain forests here on the coast to desert in the interior and boreal forests in the north.

Now Dave, you said "snow" twice in your post. Go wash out YOUR mouth with double lye soap !! You acually had snow in July and -40 ?? thats a lot worse than here in Ontario.
I remember having a frost in early July many yrs ago but -40 thats unheard of. We don't get frost until mid-late Oct. but I will let you know when we get flurries to see if my flowers know anything.
Clara
Big Smile

Postby davefrombc » Sep 21, 2012 11:16 am

I know ..Shoulda made it sn*w..... my bad.. ptooey , ptooey ,,, bad taste that soap.... That'll teach me to post when tired.. It was a freak storm that one October .. Normally we didn't get -40 until around Christmas , into January, Heidi might tell if they've had any in recent years.. It's considerably warmer in winter up there than it was in the 70's. That October freeze we had was before we had any white crap cover and it froze my water intake .. I drew my water from the river and ended up buying 200 feet of heat tape and running a surface line for water that winter. Next spring I had the line buried deep enough I never had freeze up problems with it again. The sn*w on the July 1 weekend hit us on a riverboat trip up to Takla lake to record old native pictographs. We were about 60 miles or so from Ft. St. James at the time.
Gardening in the north is a bit of a challenge. FSJ has a longer and earlier winter than Prince George with about 2 to 3 weeks difference at both ends; and often quite a bit colder day to day . The long daylight hours of the north make up some for the short seasons , but for anything like tomatoes and peppers, you need a greenhouse for any successful crops.
Greens, potatoes and the brassica family do fantastically well; with very little of the pest problems we have here on the coast.
davefrombc

Postby Heidi S » Sep 21, 2012 11:42 am

We had -36 last January for a couple of days, but according to long timers, the temps these days are certainly not as cold overall. I have been told of -50 in the late 1950's and early 1960's.

Since we've been here (18 years), we have had one completely snow free winter (2002), but most years we are at least freezing up in October, sometimes snow by Halloween and rising and falling temp cycles all winter, with at least one big thaw in January. Last January we melted down to grass in the early January, then the arctic outflow winds came and we dropped to that -36. It's the freezing and thawing that is making gardening hard now, with no snow cover, nothing is safe. We lost so many plants that were 'Zone 3' last winter.

Of course, a city of 70,000 puts out way more heat than a village of 5000 which was how big PG was before the 1970's. So it isn't surprising that we have warmed up around the urban area.

But, the overall lack of a deep cold in October for decades now, is the major cause of the pine beetle infestation that has devastated our local lodgepole pine forests. We have lost over 85% of mature forests because the weather has been too warm to control these pests. Combined with 100 years of aggressive forest fire controls to keep timber safe for the lumber industry, the beetles have no controls anymore. Nature has ways of clearing out overly mature timber though, and we are going through a natural regeneration now whether we like it or not.

We can still get frost in August up here - seems to follow the full moon cycle. I have lost an entire stand of Scarlet Runner Beans just in bloom in mid August, several times. Just within the city limits of Prince George, the winters are 2-3 weeks longer at either end of the season on the northern flank of the city along the John Hart Hwy. I am located on the south-western flank of the city, and we are definitely warmer earlier.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Sep 21, 2012 12:44 pm

My coldest year in Ft. St.James was the first year there.. 1968.. We had a mild fall and early winter.. Then a week before Christmas the thermometer froze... It dropped to 40 below, and around the new year we had a few days of unofficial 60F below. That was brutally cold. It stayed cold, with constant -10 to -40 until Feb. 3 ... I remember the date , because I woke up to the sound of water running and thought my pipes had burst .. It was near -40 when I went to bed and in the morning , the running water was snow on the roof melting.. It was 40 F above. The rest of the winter was mild. After that , for several years we could count on one to two weeks over the winter when we would get 40 below, but slowly it got milder every year.
davefrombc

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery