Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Strange plant in garden

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Strange plant in garden

Postby ham-l » Sep 24, 2012 11:51 am

Hi all. I'm at a loss with a plant thats been growing in our garden for awhile now. The plant is nothing i've ever seen before. I waited for it to flower and when the pods opened there where nothing but small black seeds in them. I put up whit the plant for a little while and just recently cut it down because it has prickly pods and my wife got poked by it. So if anyone can identify it i'd be gratefully happy. If more pics are needed I can provide them. Thanks.

ham-l

Re: Strange plant in garden

Postby Eeyore » Sep 24, 2012 1:28 pm

This is Jimson Weed and it is poisonous. Best to get rid of it. I see you have allowed it to seed, you will likley be pulling seedlings next year. Get rid of it ASAP.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ham-l » Sep 24, 2012 2:07 pm

As I live in Wisconsin, will the seeds die over the winter or should I just remove that soil surrounding that plant area.
ham-l

Postby Heidi S » Sep 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi, just another note - do not compost any of this plant, to prevent recurrence. Straight to the trash!

Good luck!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby AdamB » Sep 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Yes, they are really poisonous and its effect can be fatal.
I find the flowers to be really pretty though.
Actually there is a website all about that plant but can’t seem to find it.
AdamB

Postby Melroche » Sep 25, 2012 10:07 am

Teenagers make a very dangerous hallucinogenic tea from this plant - some communities have put out bulletins in their newspapers calling for residents to destroy them. Best to get rid of it..very toxic plant. Here's a little bit of info on it.
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/?section=species&id=84
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 27, 2012 8:13 pm

ham-l wrote:As I live in Wisconsin, will the seeds die over the winter or should I just remove that soil surrounding that plant area.

No, the seeds will not die over the winter in WI. Jimson weed is a common weed in agricultural fields. Farmers treat it chemically with one or more applications of herbicide. Removing the soil doesn't assure that you got all the seeds.

The best way to deal with jimson weed is to pull after it sprouts and before it goes to seed. Alternately, you can spray the plant with an herbicide once it has sprouted but I don't know if herbicides available to homeowners will be sufficient to kill it. The labeling on the herbicide should tell you what plants its effective for.

Jimson weed will show up in your beds once in awhile. It is unavoidable in the Midwest.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk