Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

[POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Should front yard gardens be illegal?

Yes, it affects property value.
6%
No.
94%
Undecided.
No votes

Total votes : 16

Re: [POLL] Hardened Garden Criminal to be Busted?

Postby Dumbo » Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am

Yeah, the internet is the great equalizer.
Ten's of thousands signing a petition.
Went global
Went viral
Youtube vids
etc etc etc
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Aug 24, 2012 10:23 am

YeaH! Glad he won. You are right, the internet is the new common man's voice.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 24, 2012 11:27 am

It's kind if scary what the internets are capable of doing...my son was laughing like crazy the other day and he showed me a picture of an ad campaign gone wrong: it was the "Dub the Dew" contest; an internet forum took over the voting and it went viral. Mountain Dew company backed out of naming the winning drink when "Hitler Did Nothing Wrong" won. :roll:
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

The internet has done more to bring people around the world together and influence government policies than anything else gone before it.
Politicians are beginning to realize they need to listen to their constituents more and less to the big business interests if they want to keep their seats. The quickest way to get their attention is through online petitions, blog reports and general interest in the issues. When they start seeing public interest in what they are doing and support for or against their policies, not only by those in their community , but by the greater world community,they usually have an attitude adjustment.
Congratulations to the Landrys , and to all who supported them for bringing about a positive change in their citys policies.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 05, 2012 7:53 pm

I've only seen a few front yard vegetable gardens in our city, and they may not be my style (although they could be next year!) but I find it offensive that people are told they can't have a vegetable garden in their front yard. As one of you said, what about when they turn the front yard into a parking space for cars and motorhomes!?? I did find it amusing (in a "no way!") when a friend in Etobicoke said any curtains or blinds had to show white to the street side! Doesn't that strike you as a bit of a military state? I get that your neighbour's yard and house may affect the value put on your house but I resent having everything regulated and taking away my rights. Just saying . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Sep 26, 2012 12:11 am

I can't believe that some cities put such stupid by-laws in place. Do we want to live in a Police State where everything must adhere to pathetic rules that stifle our creativity. Restrictions on minimum grass requirements? Height of bushes? Really people!! As you pointed out, is it more appealing to have a motorhome or ?? to look at? As long as it's maintained and doesn't cause safety issues for vehicles - we should not be restricted! - My neighbour has a dead pine tree in his back yard - I suggested he might take it down but . . . . it's still there! I will wait for Karma to strike!! LOL
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Eeyore » Sep 26, 2012 10:36 am

Actually, the bylaws are put in place for good reasons. If the yard is well maintained I don't see a problem however if it is not maintained and allowed to go wild then there is a problem, it affects neighbourhood property values. Maximum shrub heights and minimum set backs are for sightline safety for drivers and pedestrians. As for your neighbours tree, if it is posing a safety issues you are within your right to contact the municipality. Removing a tree is also an expensive proposition unless it can be safely done by the homeowner. If you are in a position to help your neighbour may appreciate it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence