Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Overwintering Hibiscus

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Overwintering Hibiscus

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 26, 2012 10:43 am

I bought this hibiscus for less than $5.00 at the close out sale at the nursery in June.
DSCF4059.JPG
Non-hardy Hibiscus

It was stressed already because they stopped watering the stock they had marked down. Then, on my screen porch, it went through 5 weeks of terribly hot weather, three of those weeks with no water because we were gone.

Amazingly, it has survived and has had two waves of blooms. So, now, I want to store it over the winter because it is obviously tough enough to withstand the neglect at my house.

How do I store and care for it over the winter? Does it need light or can I store it in a mostly-dark basement? What about water and pruning? Should I worry about it being exposed to frost? It was labeled a "tropical hibiscus" but has woody stems.

Thanks so much for any guidance.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Re: Overwintering Hibiscus

Postby orchidguy » Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am

Trish,
That is indeed a tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa- sinensis) and cannot handle any frost what-so-ever.
They make great houseplants. Just give it good light (south or west exposure) and let it dry out a bit between waterings. They tend to lose a lot of leaves when brought in from outdoors, but dont worry, they will soon resprout new ones, and might even bloom for you during the winter months.
When new growth starts in the spring (Apr -May), repot and start feeding on a regular basis again.
orchidguy

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Thank you, Dan. Just what I needed to know.

My new acquisition will be spending the winter looking out the neighbor's large basement window!

A Closet Canuck

Postby orchidguy » Sep 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Trish,
I always have hibiscus in the house as year round houseplants. Most are in the greenhouses, but here are a few in bloom in the house right now. (there was a lot more, but were taken after supper, and were looking pretty shabby. Will try to snap a few more for you tomorrow)
hibiscus1.jpg
Have had this one for about a dozen years now
hib1.jpg
this double red is actually prettier than in picture
orchidguy

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 27, 2012 9:39 am

The yellow-and-white one is breath-taking! Would love to see more pics. If I can get my current plant through the winter successfully, might look at upgrading to one with more stunning blooms.

Wish I could keep the hibiscus in the house but I don't have a window that will work. So, off to the neighbor's for boarding it goes.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Smitty » Sep 28, 2012 5:08 am

nice to have neighbours to babysit for you Trish...not so sure I would trust mine :shock:
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby A Closet Canuck » Sep 28, 2012 9:03 am

Smitty wrote:nice to have neighbours to babysit for you Trish...not so sure I would trust mine :shock:

LOL LOL I know what you mean. This neighbor is a good gardener and can do something I can't - keep a house plant alive!

A Closet Canuck

Postby mollyzone5 » Sep 29, 2012 9:19 pm

I keep mine in the basement under a flourescent light.I give a bit of water every other week.They will bloom for a while and then drop some leaves,but when they go back outside in Spring they take off very fast and bloom all Summer.
mollyzone5

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 01, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks, Molly, for sharing your method.

A Closet Canuck

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 28, 2012 11:17 pm

I agree with Trish, Dan that yellow & white hibiscus is breath-taking!! Cripes - now I think I would like to have one of them too. I will try to find one with an exceptional colour! So - I'll add that to my list of quests! ;-) . . . . . . . . I was just day-dreaming about getting my husband to make me a shelf across the window in the basement - for (more) plants!! I don't know that much about hibiscus - do the exotic ones have a darker shiny leaf and the perennials have a lighter not shiny one?
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Next

Return to Plant Talk