Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

My heart is broken.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

My heart is broken.

Postby otnorot » Oct 02, 2012 7:54 pm

My Son who will be 51 this November has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer,the worst kind Melonoma.He never smoked/drank.First radiation today.
Bill
otnorot

Re: My heart is broken.

Postby Eeyore » Oct 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Oh Bill, I'm so sorry to hear that. ((((HUGS))))
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Heidi S » Oct 02, 2012 10:35 pm

My sincerest condolences to your entire family. Melanoma is indeed one of the worst cancers, and it won't have made a difference whether he smoked as his cancer won't have started in his lungs.

We are going through the same thing with my Mom-in-law. She has a primary lung cancer that occurs usually in Asian women who smoke, and the only one of those she fits, is the woman part. She has never smoked either so the cause is unclear - possibly exposure to radon gas. She is also in stage 4, and her lung cancer has metastasized as bone cancer in her entire spine and ribs. Radiation helps control the pain, but she is not curable anymore. So much cancer just doesn't seem to make any sense - it just is suddenly there.

There is no easy road through this journey, as I know. So my heart goes out to you all, that you find the strength to do what needs to be done, and talk about the things that must be said now, while you have the chance. My Mom died of uterine cancer 5 years ago, less than 2 months after diagnosis.

Please do not hesitate to vent your feelings here, where you can be honest with us friendly strangers. We can take it in, where you may not want to talk with the family about your fears. Sometimes it helps to have a place like that to just talk about it all.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Big Smile » Oct 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Oh Bill , that is so sad. Cancer is such a terrible disease and can hit anybody at any age. My Husband had prostate cancer, he had surgery but did not need treatment. He has been clear for 10 yrs. All his brothers had prostate cancer but they are all living and quite well. I have had breast cancer and had radiation treament. It was a kind that was easy to treat. I have been clear for 5 yrs. We are both in good health and are very thankful.All the best for your Son.
Big Smile

Postby maryjanej » Oct 03, 2012 12:30 am

Sorry to hear that Bill, I feel your pain .
Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby davefrombc » Oct 03, 2012 1:31 am

Sorry to hear that bill... I hope he is one of lucky few to beat it . Cancer has claimed far too many of my family and friends.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Smitty » Oct 03, 2012 5:48 am

Sorry to hear that Bill. and yes please feel free to dispel your fears here...we have big hearts to help you thru it.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Katherine » Oct 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Oh Bill, thats terrible. A son or a daughter...that has to be the worst.

Kat
Katherine

Postby kelly_m » Oct 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Oh that is terrible.

((Hugs)) and prayers
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Return to Over the Garden Fence