Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Lawn Renovation

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Lawn Renovation

Postby Marsher » Oct 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I need to seed the lawn to try to fill in spots that did not come back after the dryness this summer and want to fall fertilize.

My question... can I do both at once? if not in what order and how far apart?
Located Brantford Ontario Zone 5 B
Marsher

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 03, 2012 10:54 am

Here we are advised to start seed in September and apply wintering fertilizer in November. Usually snow doesn't come until late November. So that is almost two months between seeding and fertilizing. Don't know if, in your area, you have enough time.

If I was in your situation, I would use a low nitrogen fertilizer, such as 8-8-8 to prevent burning the roots of the new seedlings. My favorite strategy is to apply compost to the lawn in the fall, rather than fertilizer. It does the grass more good in terms of overall development and it doesn't burn.

Hope this helps.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 03, 2012 11:39 am

Great advice Trish. I often put a turf builder fertilizer ( 30 - 0 - 9 ) in the Fall, but I reseeded this year and put down compost, as I thought it was easier on the tender new roots. My reseeding was like 10 days ago and I'm seeing lots of new grass!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby kelly_m » Oct 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Just remember you don't want high nitrogen....the first number...you want to build your ROOTS and get them hardy to get thru the winter....

nitrogen greens up your grass.

Why would you want to do that when it will go dormant?
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 03, 2012 7:49 pm

RubyTuesday49 wrote:Great advice Trish. I often put a turf builder fertilizer ( 30 - 0 - 9 ) in the Fall, but I reseeded this year and put down compost, as I thought it was easier on the tender new roots. My reseeding was like 10 days ago and I'm seeing lots of new grass!

Good going, RubyT! Sounds like your having success.

I'm with Kelly on skipping the high nitrogen fertilizer in the fall.

A Closet Canuck

Postby kelly_m » Oct 03, 2012 8:34 pm

It's funny...we have a number of customers coming in for a "winter" fertilizer assuming it will be a Scott's truf builder or something like that......only it has very little turf building properties! LOL Very little root building......That's what builds your turf!

On top of that...the mark up is insane!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 03, 2012 8:59 pm

That's very interesting to hear! When I'm not putting compost down in the Fall, I have in the past, put down Scott's Turf Building fertilizer and in the Spring my neighbours keep asking why my lawn is so green coming into Spring where theirs are brown. I didn't know that as you said, it doesn't have much turf building properties! Weird eh? What fertilizer do you use / recommend for turf building?
RubyTuesday49

Postby kelly_m » Oct 04, 2012 8:48 am

Unfortunately I am like the mechanic.....mine's the last to get done!! LOL

SAve any Turf builder you have for the spring! LOL

A good fall/winter fertilizer is a 5-20-20 or a 6-24-24. Gives you good strong roots and develops; hardiness for them to help get through the winters.

Even if you were repairing your lawn earlier in the spring....I would still recommend something like this....can't establish a good healthy lawn without good healthy roots.

Now....when you hear of companies/ads telling you to put something like the Turf Builder on your lawn after frost...remember...that fertilizer is doing NOTHING for your lawn....until the snow melts in the spring and pushes the fertilizer into the earth......which is why you'd have green green grass in the spring!

Easy way to remember the fertilizer #'s without worrying about the chemical properties

First - Green - leaves and grass
Second - Roots, Flowers and Fruit
Third - Hardiness and Disease resistance.

P.S. you can use this in your gardens too!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Kelly - it's funny because when George & I were on our evening walk tonight, I told him that I might put the turf-builder fertilizer on in the Spring. LOL I probably don't even need it then - with all the compost I have put on. The grass is really starting to come up now. In the areas where I filled dips and uneven parts in the lawn is really starting to show! I'm hoping that when I water "deep" the combination of compost and the drought tolerant grass seed will help hold in the moisture next year. We get very hot dry summers here. Too bad there wasn't something one could inject into the ground that retain moisture! - like the gel crystals - but they apparantly have a 3 - 4 yr life.

Ruby
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am

RubyTuesday49 wrote:.......... I probably don't even need it then - with all the compost I have put on. The grass is really starting to come up now.......... Ruby

My neighbor put ten bags of compost on her lawn in the fall - way too much. The following season the grass needed mowing every three days! Then, she and her husband were gone all summer and had to pay someone to mow often. LOL

The suggestion from the extension service is one-fourth inch on the lawn every other year. My neighbor thougth more was better. Her lawn is beautiful as a result of all the compost, and it tolerated the drought better than any other lawn on our street.

A Closet Canuck

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk