Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Lawn Renovation

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Lawn Renovation

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 05, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks Trish - that's good to know. I had planned on putting compost on every other year and was hoping that it would help with drought tollerance. I don't have a large area to mow and don't mind it at all - only takes 15 minutes. Where we used to live we had an acre - 3/4 in lawn and it took over an hour - no ride on mower! ;-)
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 06, 2012 12:44 pm

It only takes 15 minutes? Lucky you! Reportedly, compost keeps the roots cool and acts like a mulch to help the lawn's soil retain moisture. A meterologist here did half his lawn with compost and did nothing to the other half. At the end of the season, the side with compost faired much better in our summer heat.

I feel sorry for Scott's once the word gets out to the general public about compost. LOL
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby kelly_m » Oct 06, 2012 9:13 pm

LOL, Trish!!!! and you know that grow anywhere seed they sell.....lol!

Makes absolute sense that the compost would keep the roots cool...and moist during drought. Exactly what you want to do!!!

Which is also why alot of lawn people will tell you to keep your grass cuttings on your lawn....creates a mulch that keeps the roots cool...not to mention that as it breaks down, it puts more nitrogen in the soil than any spring/summer fertilizer could!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Yes, I always leave my grass clippings on the lawn too! My neighbours think I'm crazy because after I mow, I wait til the clippings start to dry a bit (doesn't take long here with the heat and wind) then I go out with my broom and "sweep" the rows of clippings so there's no clumps. ;-) I miss having a nice large lawn - but it is what it is now, I just make the most of what I have! ;-)
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 07, 2012 9:40 am

RubyTuesday49 wrote:...............My neighbours think I'm crazy because after I mow, I wait til the clippings start to dry a bit (doesn't take long here with the heat and wind) then I go out with my broom and "sweep" the rows of clippings so there's no clumps............

Now, that's a clever idea. In the past, I picked up the clumps and took them to the composter but my approach defeated the purpose of the mulching mower. Like your idea much better.

It sounds like the neighbors were not able to recognize a good idea when they saw it. LOL

A Closet Canuck

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 07, 2012 9:51 am

kelly_m wrote:LOL, Trish!!!! and you know that grow anywhere seed they sell.....lol!...............

Yeah, that's a wunnerful product, too. LOL

My solution to bare spots is to re-edge my flower beds and use the turf that I cut out of it as plugs for the bare spots. It fills in well and "matches" the surrounding grass. For a brief while the lawn looks like it has hair plugs but the method saves money and keeps good bits of turf from ending up in the composter.

Perhaps, you, RubyT, and I should start the "The Crazy Gardeners Club". Our motto could be "Crazy Like a Fox about Gardening". LOL LOL LOL

A Closet Canuck

Postby kelly_m » Oct 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Omg!!! I so that too, Trish!!!! LMAO!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 09, 2012 12:44 am

Ha ha ha! Yes, Trish, I think that's a great idea. ( "The Crazy Gardeners Club". Our motto - "Crazy Like a Fox about Gardening". ) Sounds like my kind of club!! I do that too Trish, when I dig up clumps of grass, I then plug-plant them where needed. One of my next challenges is going to be trying to get rid of (or at least reduce) the dandelions and the Creeping Charlie. The info I have says the best time to get rid of it is in the Fall having just reseeded grass, I don't think it would be wise to compromise the new tender roots.

Ruby
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 09, 2012 9:59 am

RubyTuesday49 wrote:Ha ha ha! Yes, Trish, I think that's a great idea. ( "The Crazy Gardeners Club". Our motto - "Crazy Like a Fox about Gardening". ) Sounds like my kind of club!! I do that too Trish, when I dig up clumps of grass, I then plug-plant them where needed. One of my next challenges is going to be trying to get rid of (or at least reduce) the dandelions and the Creeping Charlie. The info I have says the best time to get rid of it is in the Fall having just reseeded grass, I don't think it would be wise to compromise the new tender roots.

Ruby

I think the plug-plant idea is one of the best ever!!! The "Crazy Gardeners Club" needs to put that tip in our first newsletter. LOL LOL LOL

A Closet Canuck

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah, I do that whenever I do the "edging" in front of the house - flowerbed and entrance. Seems a shame to waste good grass - especially when we are all trying to grow it. LOL
RubyTuesday49

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk