Indoor Plants - Gardening Forums

HELP! Dying unidentified plant!!! :-((

For advice and suggestions on indoor gardens, indoor plants, indoor propagation, hydroponics, and more, join in the Indoor Plants discussion.

HELP! Dying unidentified plant!!! :-((

Postby ares_87k » Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new here.

I need urgent help, i think my plants are dying. So I bought these plants (I'm not sure if they're considered plants or trees) two months ago and they came with no label and no one knew what they were exactly or how to take care of them at the store (home depot). Anyways, after three-four weeks some leaves started going brown, today i removed a lot that seemed completely dead, I decided to remove some brown edges from some still green leaves as well (not sure if that was wise) and I even spotted something on the trunk of one of them, as if the plant was sick. I water them every other day, yet the other day i removed some mould that was lying on top of the soil, and I also spotted a small mushroom growing a couple of days ago, that died soon after. I started putting less water and i'm waiting to see if that makes a difference. I clean the leaves with a wet towel every now and then and put some fertilizer tablets when i first bought it and two days ago. I had a plant some months ago that died and I want to do anything to prevent that from happening again...!!!

PLEASE HELP!!!
Attachments
plant sick.JPG
plant (trunk) seems sick
plant.JPG
plant at noon.
ares_87k

Re: HELP! Dying unidentified plant!!! :-((

Postby davefrombc » Oct 08, 2012 2:52 pm

You have a "corn plant" Dracaena Fragrans.
Here is one site with care tips. http://houseplants.about.com/od/foliage ... agrans.htm
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby ares_87k » Oct 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Thank you so much, that was really useful. Still, do u have any idea if my plant is sick? Those mouldy-looking circular patterns on the trunk can't be normal I imagine. Specially since all other five don't look like that. Is there medicine for plants?? That sounds really stupid, sorry, i'm really new to this!

Thanks,
ares_87k

Postby davefrombc » Oct 08, 2012 4:33 pm

I can't help with the discolouration on the trunk of the one. Hopefully someone else can answer that one . I know of no "medications" for plants , other than to offer them optimal soil and environmental conditions for their type. You may be able to find helpful advice by doing further searches on your draceana. Just type "dracaena fragrans" into Google or Bing and check through the hits for information on your plant to see if others have dealt with the same thing.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby ares_87k » Oct 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Sure, i'll do that! Thank you ;-)) Merci beaucoup du Québec!! ;-))
ares_87k

Postby Peggy2296 » Oct 09, 2012 11:46 am

If the soil has mold and mushrooms, I would say you're watering way too much. Let the soil dry out halfway down the pot before watering again. This plant doesn't have large roots so can't absorb constant moisture. You probably won't need to water more than once every week or two.

And don't fertilize anymore for now. Fertilizing ailing plants does no good at all.
Peggy2296

Postby ares_87k » Oct 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks, i'll try that!! One is looking better already, the other is still kind of sick ;-((
ares_87k

Return to Indoor Plants