Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Lawn Renovation

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Lawn Renovation

Postby Heidi S » Oct 09, 2012 12:23 pm

I have always used edging cuts for mending holes in my lawn, particularly during the digging puppy phase we went through. Mind you, I am not a 'perfect lawn' fan - to me it is just the space between the important stuff.

I only water grass as a by-product of watering the garden beds. However, I have, on occasion given some over-seeding to thicken up thinning areas. To me, lawn just is what you walk on to get to the rest of the yard. However, my neighbours - holy hanna, they send a lot of time and money on growing their turf just so. Meanwhile, mine is always green in spring and always come back after the summer heat. There are weeds, oh well! My neighbour rents an aerator and does mine if he has time left - thanks! He is a 'lawn Nazi' and doesn't even let his son walk on the front lawn. Grows nothing else either just that lawn - too boring for words.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 09, 2012 11:00 pm

My neighbour has a "manicured" lawn! He waters his lawn "every" day - even when he's not supposed to! He thinks he's sneaky - automatic sprinklers at 4 am! It's very hot and dry here - I water mine once a week or so - just enough to stop it from going brown and 'crispy'. He also grows a lot of lovely flowers too so we are always swaping plants over the fence. I like having a green lawn but I don't like to waste water - my priority is water for my flowers and berries! I took out the turf on the boulevard and put in rocks & flower beds - decided to leave a little grass in the front yard. Grass is not as hot as rocks & gravel, and for that reason, it's a lot nicer to have a bit when you want to sit outside with friends & family. My backyard has a lot of rock and gravel too - but I do have a fair bit of flowers & berries.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 10, 2012 9:06 am

RubyTuesday49 wrote:My neighbour has a "manicured" lawn! He waters his lawn "every" day - even when he's not supposed to! He thinks he's sneaky - automatic sprinklers at 4 am! It's very hot and dry here - I water mine once a week or so - just enough to stop it from going brown and 'crispy'. He also grows a lot of lovely flowers too so we are always swaping plants over the fence. I like having a green lawn but I don't like to waste water - my priority is water for my flowers and berries! I took out the turf on the boulevard and put in rocks & flower beds - decided to leave a little grass in the front yard. Grass is not as hot as rocks & gravel, and for that reason, it's a lot nicer to have a bit when you want to sit outside with friends & family. My backyard has a lot of rock and gravel too - but I do have a fair bit of flowers & berries.

Your yard sounds lovely. I really like the idea of taking the turf out of the boulevard. Have seen a couple of articles in the past 12 years in Canadian Gardening that show beautiful arrangements of plants and rocks in the boulevard.

To keep turf alive in a drought, here it is recommended a half inch of water every 3 weeks, which is a lot less water than most people think. You have to wonder why someone would be so obsessed with keeping grass green all summer. Most of us want our grass to survive the summer but realize it will go dormant in serious heat. People behave the same here and our water is very expensive. Go figure!

Glad to hear you have a good gardening relationship with your neighbor. I've gotten some of my best plants from chit-chat with a neighboring gardener. In my experience, it appears a shared love of gardening can overcome a lot of differences.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi Trish! I just got so tired of having a brown boulevard and when I did turn on the sprinklers, it would run off and onto the flippin' road! I hate wasting water! Lucky for me my husband loves doing anything with rocks - he leaves the planting and irrigation to me. I put in two fair sized flower beds and then added three varigated iris plantings. I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a picture here.
Front blvd in bloom b.JPG
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

WOW! That is nice. And, rocks often retain enough heat in winter to help plants make it through. Oh, to have a husband who would like to work with rocks. You are one lucky lady.

A Closet Canuck

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Yes I am lucky. He doesn't care much for painting, irrigation set up, window washing (LOL) or gardening - he leaves that all to me. But, as soon as I mention putting rocks or gravel, his eyes light up and he starts calculating how much we will need! When he places the bigger rocks, he picks out each rock specifically for a certain spot! It actually looks better in person. We have people walking & driving by that stop and look and if we are out they say how much they like it. It's super easy to care for and I have drip irrigation to all the flowers. Love it!!
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 12, 2012 8:53 am

Well, he certainly did a nice job!

A Closet Canuck

Previous

Return to Plant Talk