Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

A Beautiful Flower Garden - One Plant at a Time

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: A Beautiful Flower Garden - One Plant at a Time

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Very good sound advice. I try hard to determine the best conditions for each plant before I even buy one so that I know I have a place for it. Gradually we tend to use up our garden areas, and I don't like having a garden that is so over-planted that you can't enjoy each plant. I'm not crazy about Spring bulbs because they tend to be in the way when I want to plant some annual or perennial - and they are so short blooming plus you have to leave the foliage to die off naturally. I also tend to look for perennials that have interesting foliage when not in bloom, and use annuals for that lovely all-summer bloom. It's so interesting learning about what can be grown in a new (warmer) hardiness zone. Loving it!!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Drought Smart Plants » Oct 11, 2012 3:35 pm

I usually choose one small area, completely fill that out and surround it with either mulch or un-planted areas, and then move on to the next. Then I have lots of smaller gardens that don't require as much fiddling around with - the plants are so close together that they choke out the weeds, and then watering them is concentrated, and I can amend just that single section of soil with steer manure or compost.

RubyTuesday, I agree totally! Although I love spring bulbs, trying to remember where they are so you don't slice them in two later on is pretty much impossible. I have one area with Vinca minor 'Ralph Schugert' planted over them, so it's easier to avoid them. They also do well planted under thyme - which closes up over them as they die back into dormancy.
Drought Smart Plants

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 11, 2012 11:24 pm

That's a great idea DSP - about planting Vinca minor over the area where your bulbs are! I have Lamium Beacon Silver in one area - I really like it a lot. But, I could just plant it where I have Spring Bulbs! I think I'll mark where my bulbs are and in the Fall I can move them. I was thinking I would like to try Fritillaria imperialis - has anyone tried them?
RubyTuesday49

Postby Drought Smart Plants » Oct 12, 2012 11:04 am

I can't take the responsibility about the Vinca - it just grew over top of the bulbs! :lol: I use Sedum for covering them too, mostly low growing ones like Sedum Dragon's Blood and other spurium species.

You could move your bulbs now if you know where they are, but I never really remember. You mean wait til spring, and mark their location then to move next year, right?

I've never grown Fritillaria imperialis - it just seems so coarse and ungainly. It might help get rid of the pocket gophers though! It's either that, or a Jack Russel Terrier :lol:
Drought Smart Plants

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 12, 2012 11:12 pm

I must admit, I know nothing about Fritillaria imperialis - just thought the flowerhead looked rather interesting. I see it can be quite tall - 3' and I tend to shy away from tall flowers - don't like staking (usually detracts from the plant). I do have some flowers & grasses that are tall but they seem to be OK here (lots of wind) so far. Every year I think I must try to mark where my bulbs are (but forget). My tulips were huge this Spring - quite lovely - but I hate their short blooming period.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Oct 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I started my perennial bed with about 10 plants and I had one here and there planting in 3 or 5's. Some plants that i really love I would buy 3 at a time and plant them in triangles so as to cover more area, depending how big and area you were working with. I realized that some flowers were lost in the flowerbed as I couldn't see there colors. Now I plant them in drifts so each one is visible and cover more area. I have quite a large perennial border 120 feet by 6 feet with mulch on both sides. I have Sedums and Fall Asters and some plants with variegated foliage. These plants help to break up the solid green foliage and add color to your flowerbed.
Sandy Zone 3b

Return to Plant Talk