Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

The Garden is a Bloom'in

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: The Garden is a Bloom'in

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Big Smile, congratulations on all your hard work to achieve such vibrant and healthy plants. They are perfection.

How do you keep them looking so lush and full? Please share.

*smile*

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Big Smile » Jul 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks Chelsea,,there is really no secret to the gardening. The gardens are 7 yrs old , so they are well established. I guess it was probably good soil as this lot was a field before we bought it and built the house , there was nothing but grass.
We put compost on the gardens but don't have enough for all gardens.Some got compost this spring others will get compost next spring. The Perennials have grown to the point that need dividing so in spring I am busy dividing and potting plants for Horticultural Plant Sales . I also have my own plant sale on May long weekend. It is surprising how well the plants grew during the hot dry weather. Hubby did some watering but not all gardens. We got a nice rain Friday and Sunday after a 3 week drought.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 15, 2012 11:58 pm

I LOVE your Callas!! I think I will get some bulbs - in the ? Spring? Once they are established, I may try leaving some in the ground and taking some up. I'm Zone 6a.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 16, 2012 12:00 am

I LOVE your Callas!! I think I will get some bulbs - in the ? Spring? Once they are established, I may try leaving some in the ground and taking some up. I'm Zone 6a.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Big Smile » Oct 17, 2012 10:01 am

RubyTuesday49 wrote:I LOVE your Callas!! I think I will get some bulbs - in the ? Spring? Once they are established, I may try leaving some in the ground and taking some up. I'm Zone 6a.

Thanks Ruby, Callas multipy, if you were closer I would share some corms with you.
After the frost last Saturday the garden is pretty much done ecept for some "Fall Anemones" that are still blooming. Yesterday we had a beautiful day (we only get about one a week) I dug out my Dahlias, Cannas, Oxalis and Elephant Ears.
Clara
Big Smile

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 17, 2012 12:55 pm

No worries Clara - I should be able to find Calla corms here in the Spring. I know I have seen them (just couldn't recall if it was Spring or Fall). When you dig up your Calla corms, do you let them dry off a bit? What do you store them in and where?
I was thrilled because we have been having lovely weather and temps were always above what was predicted. - Last night it got down to +2 c - but it's sunny. We don't get much precip. here (frozen or liquid). Anyway, I am really looking forward to trying Callas next year.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Big Smile » Oct 17, 2012 2:10 pm

RubyTuesday49 wrote:No worries Clara - I should be able to find Calla corms here in the Spring. I know I have seen them (just couldn't recall if it was Spring or Fall). When you dig up your Calla corms, do you let them dry off a bit? What do you store them in and where?
I was thrilled because we have been having lovely weather and temps were always above what was predicted. - Last night it got down to +2 c - but it's sunny. We don't get much precip. here (frozen or liquid). Anyway, I am really looking forward to trying Callas next year.

I dig the Callas in mid- Sept. if I leave them out too late when it gets rainy and wet the corms can rot. You can probably leave them out later. When I dig them I leave the foliage on and put in a box / tub whatever you have, keep them in the garage till the foliage turns yellow. By this time the corms will be dry. I cut of the foliage and store the corms in a box and put in the cold room till spring. I like to pot up some to have earlier blooms.
We have another nice day 16C so I will go out in the garden and do more cleaning up!
Clara
Big Smile

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for the great info. I will for sure give them a whirl next Spring. It was a lovely day here too, so, like yourself, I spent the day doing more garden cleanup. I took a bunch of geranium slips and got some seed from my Rudbeckia & Echinacea - for friends and my kids. I pruned down my blackberry & raspberry bushes too. We haven't had frost yet but I know it's imminent. Oh - do you find your Callas want fairly moist soil? Thanks again for the info & advice - much appreciated!!

Ruby
RubyTuesday49

Postby Big Smile » Oct 17, 2012 9:58 pm

RubyTuesday49 wrote:Thanks for the great info. I will for sure give them a whirl next Spring. It was a lovely day here too, so, like yourself, I spent the day doing more garden cleanup. I took a bunch of geranium slips and got some seed from my Rudbeckia & Echinacea - for friends and my kids. I pruned down my blackberry & raspberry bushes too. We haven't had frost yet but I know it's imminent. Oh - do you find your Callas want fairly moist soil? Thanks again for the info & advice - much appreciated!!

Ruby

Sounds like you had a good day ,Ruby . I still have to cut down some and clean out dead stalks in my Raspberry patch.
Yes Callas like moist soil . I saw them growing in water at a Garden Centre one year so I tried that too,,, put a pot of Callas in our pond. I think they do just as well in the garden.
Clara
Big Smile

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 18, 2012 11:16 pm

In the Spring I will have to do a final clean up of the old raspberry canes, but I did get the bulk of the work finished. For the Callas, I was wondering if it would be an idea to bury a large bucket in the ground and put the corms in it to grow. Thinking that it would make it easier to have a more moist environment using less water. I guess I could just put a "shrubbler" to that area - I have set up micro and drip irrigation to all my flower-beds and fruits. I'm getting all excited now about trying callas!!
RubyTuesday49

PreviousNext

Return to Garden Gallery