Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

comparison of woodpeckers

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

comparison of woodpeckers

Postby bluebird » Oct 15, 2012 6:59 pm

I spliced these two images together for a discussion on another forum and thought just a few of you here might enjoy them as well as per picking up the threads from previous post. Besides the obvious size difference you can see the relative bill size to head of the Hairy Woodpecker vs. the smaller relative size of the smaller Downy. They are both females lacking the red patch on the back of the head.

Birding 101 class dismissed now-laf!

Thanks Smitty for your comment and Kat for your enjoyable rescued bird story in the cardinal thread.

bluebird

Re: comparison of woodpeckers

Postby Ron Evers » Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Yeabut, if there is only the one present, Jeanne & I will still debate which it is. :wink:
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm

They really look similar dont they? This is a great comparison, tho. Looking at this I wonder if the eastern Downys are larger than the western races? Because side by side our Downie wps are really quite tiny compared to the Hairys.
Katherine

Postby bluebird » Oct 18, 2012 12:05 am

Yeabut Ron, that's half the fun isn't it? :lol: Maybe they should make feeders with measuring marks. :idea:

As far as I know Kat, Downys vary in size all over N.A. by only a cm. ( 17-18 cm /6.75-7 in) However, according to Cornell,
Downy Woodpeckers in the West are darker overall, and they tend to have less white in the wings than birds from eastern North America.

Interestingly Hairy Woodpeckers do vary in size with northern species being larger than southern species...so maybe you have the northern kind and we here deep in the south of Ontario have the smaller southern kind, that make our Downys appear larger-lol! (Don't quote me on that!)

Thanks Kat and it's been a pleasure chatting to you and enjoying your superb photography talent over the years!
bluebird

Postby Smitty » Oct 19, 2012 5:47 am

first thing that came to mind was the old ABC Commercial.."I can't tell the difference,,,can you? " :shock:
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Return to Over the Garden Fence