Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

How do you handle recycle stuff

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

How do you handle recycle stuff

Postby butterfly » Aug 20, 2010 2:55 pm

I get more confused here all the time

I had one box for clear blue bags, (recyle stuff) and one container for black bag

Now I need 2 clear blue bag containers and one container for c lear white and one container for black bag

plastic bread bags go in one clear blue bag and plastic lunch bags go in another blue clear bag and cannot be put together in one bag and mil;k cartons go in another bag. 2 other containers for compost and food stuff like bones, meat etc you can't put in compost. I burn what can and compost what I can. They did provide us with 2 containers for th road for these things I use as composters

But for the other things I am short of room

I keep wondering why milk cartons, can't get a refund like beer cans etc

what do others do espcially those in apartments do for room to set up for 4-5 different recyle containers?/

I do not have room on the main floor. I do in the basement but I can't run up and down 2 flights of stairs either dayiy

what do you do?? I could use some suggestions please
Last edited by butterfly on Aug 20, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Re: How do you handle recycle stuff

Postby Countryboy » Aug 20, 2010 4:17 pm

There's different regulations for every province C. U would have to restrict yr questions to others from NS. Us from Ontario or other provinces have no idea what the regulations are in your area.

Having said that, I keep compostable material in a small bucket with a lid on it in the kitchen. That only has to be emptied into the large compost container every few days.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Countryboy » Aug 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Trying to continue my last post became impossible in this worse than useless, sad-sack forum run by a magazine that is still wallowing along with '80s technology and with absolutely incompetent and uncaring staff.

Somebody get that Flash Object off of this page and give us room to type a reply.

Dimitri!! Either do yr job or quit!!!

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Laura » Aug 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Here we just separate wet and dry.Clear blue bags for dry and clear green for wet, pretty simple, black bags are no longer excepted.Raked leaves are only accepted in clear green no more clear white.
I do keep returnable plastic and glass bottles to cash in though ....
( that is the money I use for buying plants each season ). Anyway I keep three large plastic garbage cans to separate them and store them until I return them.I have a small plastic bucket under the sink for compost.

I use the old take one bring one method my mother taught us to keep from running up and down the stairs so much ... I put things needing to go down stairs in a basket or bag and leave by the stairs,then when I have to go down to do laundry or something I take them down with me.

Good luck with your recycling ... it is easy once you get the method going that works for you.
Laura

Postby Lizcordysmum » Aug 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Paper waste, and things like meat bones, all go in one or two bags which we have to pay for for the stickers to go on these or they won't pick them up. We are allowed two of these big plastic bags a week.

Bottles, jars, cans, go in another bag. Styrofoam meat trays,plastics of all kinds, the waxed cardboard milk cartons in another bag. Most folks put their refundables in the car and go to the recycling depot for the refunds...which Jim gets for walking around money and I go thru a LOT of Cokes. I return egg cartons (the paper fibre ones) to the grocery where I buy range free eggs, for re use. Empty pill bottles go back to the pharmacy where I bought the prescriptions.

I think once a year they will pick up garden waste, but usually folks take this to the landfill...and pay by the weight of the vee-hickle arriving with a load, and then leaving empty. If you want to get rid of furniture, you put it on your front lawn with a cardboard sign saying "FREE." and someone always takes it away in darkest of night...appliances, beds, sofas, etc.

Computers and that kind of stuff goes to a different recycling place.

As for leaves...we drive a block each year and load up the big garden bags to get the oak leaves before the city shreds them and removes them in a big truck. we drive, because I cannot lift and carry a full bag and neither can himself. Rhododendrons and azaleas just LOVE these oak leaves. winter mulch.

I have a green kitchen waste basin in the kitchen, it goes to the composting bin behind the garage.

Doggie mess clean-up goes in REAL biodegradeable plastic bags...not the kind that are still in one piece after several months. Eggshells are washed, air-dried, ground in the food proc. and applied to the garden for the birdies in Spring nesting time, for calcium (for their eggs.) Coffee grounds directly to the garden. Banana peels get the food proc treatment, some water, and are poured onto the ground around roses....and scritched into the soil.

There still is FAR too much waste from this household of two people and four small animals. My husband says the worst is the amount of debris from cutting, pruning trees and bushes and he is in a very uptight mood the minute he sees me with the pruning shears.

So that is the BAD news. The good news is, they plan to turn our old waste landfill site into a botanical garden and that will be JUST Wonderful!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Katherine » Oct 20, 2012 12:39 pm

SPAM sorry. Should read before I post.
Last edited by Katherine on Oct 20, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katherine

Postby Katherine » Oct 20, 2012 12:39 pm

double post removed.
Katherine

Postby Countryboy » Oct 20, 2012 1:03 pm

I don't get any e-mail reminders of any CG topics or threads... even when I've posted to them. I have it set that way deliberately. I'm into this forum often enuf that I will see all the 'new stuff' when I get here... and don't need any 'notifications'. :)

But now, some spam posts have appeared here that must have also compromised the CG software to the point where the spammer can override my chosen settings. Now I really don't care abt the posts, I can ignore them. But the fact that forum software has been affected really troubles me. What other parts of the software has this spammer compromised?

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby B_BQ » Oct 21, 2012 8:45 am

Wow! This thread goes back to August 2010, and it's nothing to do with the state of this forum! lol

I very rarely come on these days as there's hardly anyone posting and not too much seems to be happening, other than spammers seem to have taken over.

But I would like to put my oar in too, and say that CG really have screwed up on this forum. They've upgraded, upgraded, upgraded over the years, and it's now worse than it was 10 years ago! I know, I know, it's free, but my gosh there's lots of free sites out there where there is much better service.

They've suckered advertisers in with false statistics - 50,000+ members! NOT! Perhaps those advertisers should be told the truth that, at most, their advertisements are being seen by very very few people!

~BBQ

It's unbearably slow to load, cumbersome to post pics, (even the most basic free site to blog for example is so easy to use and to post pictures), and generally not very user friendly.

Too bad.
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Over the Garden Fence