Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Pee Gee Hydrangea

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Pee Gee Hydrangea

Postby Vendella01 » Oct 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I planted two Pee Gee Hydrangeas,at the end of last summer, one came up and is huge,lots of blooms, Im thinking its too big for the garden, and I want to move it, and transplant it to a shrub hedge that Im making. It would be in the open, lots of wind, no protection.] Will it survive? When is the best time to transplant, spring or fall.? The other one grew, (same garden) not one flower. ??? I will leave it, and see what happens next year. They both face the west, lots of afternoon sun. Zone 4. Ive never planted hydrangea before so Im not sure of what Im doing.
Vendella01

Re: Pee Gee Hydrangea

Postby Heidi S » Oct 20, 2012 8:01 pm

"Pee Gee Hydrangea will grow to be about 10 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 10 feet. It tends to be a little leggy, with a typical clearance of 2 feet from the ground, and is suitable for planting under power lines. It grows at a medium rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for 40 years or more.

This shrub performs well in both full sun and full shade. It prefers to grow in average to moist conditions, and shouldn't be allowed to dry out. It is not particular as to soil type or pH. It is highly tolerant of urban pollution and will even thrive in inner city environments. Consider applying a thick mulch around the root zone in winter to protect it in exposed locations or colder zones. It blooms well in shade; somewhat coarse in appearance, regular pruning recommended, needs slightly acid well-drained soil.

This is a high maintenance shrub that will require regular care and upkeep, and is best pruned in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed."

Excepted from Northscaping.com.

The trick seems to be keeping it moist, but not sitting in water. I would transplant both if you are re-thinking the size/placement and then let them grow for a couple of years. Rather than moving them now, consider root pruning around them both this fall - trenching to cut roots but not moving the trees until next year and then moving them next spring, giving them some rooting hormone starter fert once you have them in place. Do some shaping and pruning to get them off to a good start and keep them well watered all next summer into freeze-up in the fall.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Return to Plant Talk