Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Perennial Hibiscus.

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Re: Perennial Hibiscus.

Postby lindamct2010 » Oct 23, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi Ruby! I started mine from seed in my south window around the end of February 2 years ago. Wow....your sister's is 6' tall! awesome. I am thinking hers may be Rose of Sharon, part of the Hibiscus family. They grow like a tree! I have these as well. Friends of mine have grown Hibiscus or Rose of Sharon with success of sowing directly into the designated planting spot! I have my Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon shrubs along my asphalt driveway. Very hot and a very dry bed. I never water and depend on rainfalls. It sure is exciting when the blooms begin to open isn't it :-)
lindamct2010

Postby bluewillow » Oct 24, 2012 4:22 pm

otnorot wrote:collected seeds from a local park last year and here's the seedlings. Image

[color=#4000FF]Amazing Bill what you have done. Will be looking for those blooms in '13.

That is a lovely bloom Linda!

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 24, 2012 10:52 pm

She did say it was a Hibiscus and not Rose of Sharon but I will get her to send me a pic so I can post it. she said it grows up from the ground each Spring and isn't a shrub. I think she said it's a red.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Linda - Here's a picture of the plant - despite the changing leaves, it does look like a perennial Hibiscus to me. It's just over 6 feet tall.
J&S - Flower__2.jpg
J&S - Flower__2.jpg
Attachments
J&S - Flower__1.jpg
RubyTuesday49

Postby lindamct2010 » Oct 26, 2012 11:35 am

Hey Ruby Tuesday! That sure is a Perennial Hibiscus. Same colour as mine. Wow....6' tall. the tallest I have right now is only about 3'. My Rose of Sharons are twice that height!
lindamct2010

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes, Linda - it is weird that hers is so tall and even weirder that in the several years she has had it, it has had lots of buds but never had a flower open up until this year - and late in the growing season. She's zone 8a and I'm 6a. On the plus side, she has promised to give me a piece of it next Spring - we'll see if it likes our hot dry summers better. My hibiscus was only around 27" this year but I did yank it out in the Spring! Oops!! But it had a lot of blooms on it this Summer so I was quite pleased!!
RubyTuesday49

Postby lindamct2010 » Oct 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Hey Ruby! Gosh and my Hibiscus bloomed the first year from seed sown in the Spring. Could be too much compost or other type of fertilizer setting it back. I just put a shovel of compost in the planting hole before I transplanted and that was it. Well Okay if I want to share my compost with the Hibiscus I would give them a hand full or so more before a rain. I live in a wee little town in Central Ontario Zone 5. Last year the foundation plantings didn't have frost what so ever! As is said mine are planted along the asphalt driveway and love the heat. You must be excited to get a piece of the Hibiscus! Let's keep in touch :)
lindamct2010

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 28, 2012 12:08 am

I'm a huge fan of compost too Linda! I go to the landfill here and have gotten an 4' x 8' x 20" trailer full and 4 muck buckets (24" dia x 18") - for $20.75!! It's like black gold to me - I put it on everything (except the Azalea) - lawn, flowerbeds, and fruit plants (grapes, raspberry, blackberry & strawberry) I dig it into all my new plantings too.

I can't believe you are in Zone 5 and your foundations plantings didn't have any frost! That was unusually lucky!! We don't get a lot of heavy freezing here. When we get snow, it's usually gone within a few days! This Spring when I was replanting a large pot that had been sitting outside all winter, I discovered two begonia tubers. I didn't think they would do anything but left them in the pot and planted a couple new ones. Well they took off and became huge plants! So, this year I'm going to put the tubers in a pot of dirt and sneak it into my husband's workshop with my other plants! LOL
RubyTuesday49

Previous

Return to Garden Gallery