Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

US Election

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

US Election

Postby Eeyore » Oct 24, 2012 11:08 am

Is anyone following the US Election and the candidates? Is anyone appalled by the Republican's "war on women" and their views on rape and abortion? I must say I am gob-smacked! Lets just go right back to the dark ages and strip women of all of their rights! I would have thought by this time those rights would be so firmly entrenched that we would no longer have to even debate or continue fighting the same battles over and over.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: US Election

Postby davefrombc » Oct 24, 2012 11:55 am

Today must be the day for rants .. LOL.. Yes, I'm following the US election; and I post in one forum where there is a rather lively debate going on between the left leaning and moderates and the far right . Mods there had to cool down the name calling between them . The far right and Tea Party nut cases seem to have gained far too much influence in the Republican party. I hope mainstream America sees through them and the embarrassing presidential candidate they chose to run... It really is sad to think out of the ones running for their nomination , Romney was the best of them; but unfortunately he was. I'm amazed that he is in such a close race with Obama.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Katherine » Oct 24, 2012 12:09 pm

What scares me is that many people are ignoring this very topic you bring up Lyn,and vowing to vote Republican because they feel Obama has not done enough to fix the economy. They are not connecting with the fact that the Republicans PLAN on waging more war in the Middle East, which will further cripple their economy, and the economy of the world. I also know people in the States who are refusing to vote at all, because they dont "like" either of the candidates. Can you say Irresponsible?

This country may have way too much power and influence over the world economy, and basic HUMAN rights as well as womens rights are an impending casualty.
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Oct 24, 2012 12:37 pm

The thing is the Republicans created the economic mess and the Democrats have finally started to make some headway with it. And the Reps want to loosen the banking regulations again! Do they want a repeat of the mess they created in 2008?
Not to mention putting healthcare within reach of the average American.....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Oct 24, 2012 12:54 pm

I follow it in bits and pieces, but really find the whole process dreadful.

I have been somewhat disappointed in Barack Obama's lack of 'balls', but we do have to try to remember that for the most part his hands have been tied, (tightly), by the Senate, (Republican majority), who have got him so tightly boxed in that he's can't find an opening to get to work trying to put right all the wrongs that he inherited.

When it comes to politics, and politicians, I only have a couple of words: sleazy and dishonest. Applies to the US, Canada, UK, Europe and most other countries in the world too!

It seems that no matter how honest(sic) a person is when they enter politics it doesn't take more than a few weeks for them to become as sleazy and dishonest as those before them.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Heck to be a politician anywhere in the world is to be able to lie convincingly, be absolutely certain no matter what the legislation is that your own welfare will come first, & everyone else last. In this Country Harper is in the process of destroying this beautiful Country & the damage may end up being unrepairable by election time in 2015. In fact, the NDP & Liberals should merge & the dis-satisfied Conservatives of which there are many should cross the floor & join them. Harper would suddenly be in the minority & find that he is no longer the PM or heading up the Government. Good riddance to that pile of garbage.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Countryboy » Oct 27, 2012 8:16 pm

LeeInEdmonton wrote:Harper would suddenly be in the minority & find that he is no longer the PM or heading up the Government. Good riddance to that pile of garbage.

Lee

Well this thread didn't take long to turn venomous, eh? Can it be closed now?
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Katherine » Oct 28, 2012 2:20 pm

I think its a Canadian right (or rite) to refer to politicians as a pile of garbage, actually. I have seen them behave very badly at every level.

I dont know what happens to them. They go in with the idea of public service, making changes for the better then they turn into two faced liars out for the biggest power grab they can get. Whats with that? There is something about trying to please a bunch of different-minded people, maybe? Power corrupts?

I am a consultant and I get called every kind of filthy name in the book; pushy, duplicitous, opinionated, sly,greedy, selfish, vain, etc. Including some names refering to my virtue I wont repeat here. So I know what its like to be held in low regard. Its not nice. Especially when I actually do work very hard to do what i think is scientifically correct and the best thing for the ecosystem I am working on. And often end up working for free a LOT of the time.

So I always try to cut politicians slack because they possibly ARE trying to do whats best. I am sure Harper thinks selling the TarSands to the world at any price to the BC coast and our people is the right thing to do. He has been recordsed as saying "You wont recognize Canada when Im finished with it." This brings a chill to the back of my neck, because I am not sure I agree with his particular vision. But I will bet you that he does believe its the best thing for us to be sold to China, to sell our resources to the world and to get rid of the environmental laws that prevent damage. Hes decided this is the way to go. I dont agree with him. And if someone wants to call him a bag of garbage I am not going to argue. I might not use that kind of wording, but its a free country. So far.

Just recently Bolivia officially gave Mother Earth the right to be safe. We should do the same. We dont OWN the country. It is our country but we dont have the right to ruin it and NO one has the right to sell it out from under us.

k
Katherine

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Oct 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Well said Katherine. If I could be granted a wish it would be that more Canadians become passionate about their Country, especially the large numbers that fail to vote in Provincial & Federal elections. The similar frame of mind exists in those people who are too "nice" to call a spade a spade & fail to attend seminars held by their MP because they are just "too busy" or she/he happens to not be of their politcal persuasion.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Eeyore wrote:Is anyone following the US Election and the candidates? Is anyone appalled by the Republican's "war on women" and their views on rape and abortion? I must say I am gob-smacked! Lets just go right back to the dark ages and strip women of all of their rights! .....

Mitt Romney (AKA Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire) and Paul Ryan will be happy to do that for you.

Gob-smacked?? For God's sake, Lyn, it's the United States, not Europe or Canada. After eight years of George Bush, you Canucks should not be surprised at any craziness south of the border.

Iowa Congressman Steve King said in a debate the other night he will vote to withhold federal funds from the states hit by the hurricane. People are still stranded in flood water and that idiot doesn't want to help them.

Canada looks better and better all the time. I hope you appreciate what you have up there.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence