Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I may have waited a few days too long!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

I may have waited a few days too long!

Postby Heidi S » Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm

i had a very busy weekend working Thursday through Monday, and didn't get back to the veggie patch until today. I knew that our over night temps were approaching -10, but discovered that my leeks were frozen solid when I went to dig them up this afternoon. The ice in the raised bed went down about 6 inches.

I had to lever them out with a spading fork, and it took some doing, but I got them out (a little battered mind you), so leek and potato soup tomorrow....

Now about those last two rows of carrots I hadn't harvested... And they were nice ones too! I might still be able to get them out this next weekend, as the temp will rise - when the snow starts. But I have my doubts about their condition - Phooey!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: I may have waited a few days too long!

Postby kelly_m » Oct 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Three volunteer potatoe plants.....got 4 taters off one and one off the other two! LOL only 2 carrots and half my onions started to sprout again!! Will dig up the leeks this weekend...but potatoe and leek soup here too!!!!!
Zone 5a/b

Re: I may have waited a few days too long!

Postby Eeyore » Oct 25, 2012 9:47 am

The carrots may be fine. If not you can always cook and mash them to use in soups, breads or muffins through the winter.
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"

Return to Over the Garden Fence