Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

When to dig Dahlia bulbs

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

When to dig Dahlia bulbs

Postby Millie » Oct 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi,

My neighbour wants to know when can she did her Dahlia bulbs. They are still blooming and look lovely.

Thanks,
Millie
Millie

Re: When to dig Dahlia bulbs

Postby B_BQ » Oct 24, 2012 8:20 pm

I seem to remember that you wait for the first frost to hit and damage the growth. Once that happens dig up the bulbs and store.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby davefrombc » Oct 24, 2012 8:30 pm

C/P from Dahliabarn.com :

Digging Dahlias

WAIT FOR YOUR DAHLIAS TO FREEZE IN THE FALL !! Then wait at least 1-2 weeks before you dig them up. Leave them intact and don't cut them down. Wait until the foliage has turned black and have completely died back. During this time, the dahlia is 'ripening' and preparing itself for winter. Dahlias dug too early will not store over winter. After the foliage has died back, cut the stems to a height of 6"-8". Use a shovel or pitchfork to gently loosen the soil and lift the clump out of the soil. Tap off the soil from the clumps and allow the clumps to dry in an area above freezing for at least 3-5 days. You can divide then or leave in a clump and divide in the spring. Then store for winter.
Do I really need to dig up my dahlias?
Digging and dividing will keep your dahlias returning year after year when they are dug and stored properly. Dahlias left in the ground will create a massive tuber clump underground that will send up many weak, unproductive stalks that have small blooms. Eventually, if left undug year after year, they won't come back at all. You can treat your dahlias as annuals and purchase new tuber stock each year.

If you live in an area that does not have harsh, freezing winters, your dahlias may survive winter without digging. In the fall, wait at least 1 week after a freeze and after your dahlia stalks have died back completely. Then cut the stalks down to the ground and place a 10"-12" layer of mulch such as grass clippings, leaves, straw or compost. This will protect your dahlias over winter. In March, remove the layer of mulch so that the soil can begin to warm up. Dig up the tubers, divide, let dry for 3-5 days, and replant them when it's the correct planting time for your area.

Although, we do recommend digging, dividing and storing in the fall, you should have success with this method as well.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Big Smile » Oct 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Millie wrote:Hi,

My neighbour wants to know when can she did her Dahlia bulbs. They are still blooming and look lovely.

Thanks,
Millie

Hi Millie, nice to see you are back. About the Dahlias,,I agree with most of Dave's comment but I dig mine a couple days after frost. We had a frost that killed the Dahlia foilage about ten days ago. I dug them 3 days later and cut off the stems. The tubers are still in the garage , I might leave then there for the winter as it doesn't freeze in our garage. I also don't wash the tubers, I leave some soil on it helps to not dry out the tubers. I have good luck in keeping any Bulbs, Tubers or Corms over the winter.
Clara
Big Smile

Postby Millie » Oct 25, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks Dave and Clara! Will print this out.

Hey Clara, where do you store you photos. I can't access my Photobucket anymore so have tried flickr but looks look will have to purchase it to store more pics.

Will post a link when I figure out how to get them all uploaded.

Millie
Millie

Postby Millie » Oct 25, 2012 8:22 am

Gee Brenda, didn't see your post until I went to print this. That's actually what I told her but both Dave and Clara have supplied plenty of info.
Thanks for your response.
Millie

Postby Big Smile » Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am

Millie wrote:Thanks Dave and Clara! Will print this out.

Hey Clara, where do you store you photos. I can't access my Photobucket anymore so have tried flickr but looks look will have to purchase it to store more pics.

Will post a link when I figure out how to get them all uploaded.

Millie

Millie, I store my photos in Photobucket. I also clicked on your website and got in, no problem.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby Millie » Oct 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Oh yes, it still works but will not let me add new photos, so am using my son's email and will see what happens but it mixes the photos and are not in order they were taken.
Millie

Postby Big Smile » Oct 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Millie wrote:Oh yes, it still works but will not let me add new photos, so am using my son's email and will see what happens but it mixes the photos and are not in order they were taken.

Millie I just uploaded a photo to my Photobucket, no problem. Hope you can add your photos soon !

Today is like summer here 22C but they say it will be the last. Cold and rainy for the weekend. Oh Well,,,what else is new???
Clara
Big Smile

Postby Heidi S » Oct 25, 2012 3:54 pm

My 3 dahlia bulbs were dug up and dried out about 3 weeks ago, as we had killing frost in mid September here in PG. They are now sitting in a shallow tub with some vermiculite spread around them. I have 3 enormous Skaugum begonia bulbs drying under my dining room table, and they will get put into the basement in a similar fashion.

I don't have a good safe cold zone in the house which has a finished basement (no garage), but I put them in the space under my stairs which is the coolest. I use the vermiculite to control the moisture which has worked better than just leaving the bulbs in the tubs on their own.

Bye the way, it is currently snowing in PG, and my tire change appointment is tomorrow! I don't think it will stay on the ground, but it startled me to look out the window while cleaning house and see the white stuff!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Next

Return to Plant Talk