Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

I may have waited a few days too long!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

I may have waited a few days too long!

Postby Heidi S » Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm

i had a very busy weekend working Thursday through Monday, and didn't get back to the veggie patch until today. I knew that our over night temps were approaching -10, but discovered that my leeks were frozen solid when I went to dig them up this afternoon. The ice in the raised bed went down about 6 inches.

I had to lever them out with a spading fork, and it took some doing, but I got them out (a little battered mind you), so leek and potato soup tomorrow....

Now about those last two rows of carrots I hadn't harvested... And they were nice ones too! I might still be able to get them out this next weekend, as the temp will rise - when the snow starts. But I have my doubts about their condition - Phooey!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: I may have waited a few days too long!

Postby kelly_m » Oct 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Three volunteer potatoe plants.....got 4 taters off one and one off the other two! LOL only 2 carrots and half my onions started to sprout again!! Will dig up the leeks this weekend...but potatoe and leek soup here too!!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: I may have waited a few days too long!

Postby Eeyore » Oct 25, 2012 9:47 am

The carrots may be fine. If not you can always cook and mash them to use in soups, breads or muffins through the winter.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Over the Garden Fence