Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Maybe of interest to some!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Maybe of interest to some!

Postby B_BQ » Oct 24, 2012 8:44 pm

We were in a market town, Evesham, in Worcestershire, and strolled through the grounds of St. Lawrence's Church, a beautiful church right on the main street. It dates back to Norman times but was rebuilt in the 16th century. It subsequently fell into ruin again but was restored in 1836. The sun was shining on this day!
IMG_3062.jpeg

Kat may be interested in this:
We came across this very wobbly cobblestone pathway in the churchyard, apparently very very old, maybe dating back to Norman times too, but could be later. Good job I had my sneakers on - definitely potentially ankle-breaking wearing any sort of heel!
IMG_3064.jpeg

And we all know that England can be a pretty damp place, and moss grows well! I thought this was rather spectacular, taken in a pretty little village on the outskirts of the Cotswolds, that goes by the name of Mickledon, where we had a nice pub lunch:
IMG_3068.jpeg

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Maybe of interest to some!

Postby Big Smile » Oct 24, 2012 9:16 pm

The church looks beautiful. Is it still being used? I think I would stay off that cobblestone path,LOL. The moss is rather pretty.
Big Smile

Postby Eeyore » Oct 24, 2012 10:30 pm

Great photos Brenda. The 2nd and 3rd are really interesting but I'm with Clara. I would stay off that path! LOL!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby bluewillow » Oct 25, 2012 11:36 am

Such a lovely old church. Enjoyed the cobblestone so different that here. Sneakers are a must!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby Ron Evers » Oct 25, 2012 7:17 pm

Nice set of pictures Brenda but those are not cobble stones, cobble stones are round.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby B_BQ » Oct 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Ron: I suppose technically you may be correct. But hundreds of years ago it would probably not have been possible to have evenly rounded 'cobble' stones with any consistency.
Perhaps properly another term used would have been setts, (belgian block), which was widely used in the 19th century. Setts were relatively even and roughly rectangular stones laid in a more or less regular pattern.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Over the Garden Fence