Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Colville Washington shack

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Colville Washington shack

Postby Katherine » Oct 25, 2012 11:17 am

So BBQ started me up yesterday. I havent posted many photos of buildings on here of late, and I may have posted a vew of this particular house, ive photographed it several times now. But I havent posted this particular shot. I have taken to tarting up my photos a bit in various photographic arts software products. I actually did this yesterday, and when I checked OTGF yesterday evening, low and behold, there were those lovely old buildings with the great roofs on them from Brenda! This was taken about 3 years ago I think, 5 miles south of Colville Washington.

As Ron sez you have to click on it to do it justice, (lol!) then click on the back arrow to get back to this site.

colville-farmhouse-2.jpg
Colville Farmhouse

kat
Katherine

Re: Colville Washington shack

Postby Eeyore » Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am

Interesting effect Kat. The small view does not do it justice at all. It looks really good in the larger version.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Oct 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Oh, I like it too. Great effects.
I love those roofs. Are they called hip roofs?

As you can imagine, there are some real beauties in England going back as far as the 12th and 13th centuries and beyond. It's unusual to see dilapidated sheds with holes in the roof, as most are still in use and have been renovated somewhat. The sheds I snapped were in fact still being used for housing farm animals, but not sure that the one with the hole in it would keep the animals dry!

We're going back to England in 2 years' time for another reunion, and I think I will focus more on the unusual than just the 'drop dead gorgeous'.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » Oct 25, 2012 2:49 pm

We were in Drumheller recently and stopped at an antique shop that was in an old quonset. It had bent rib rafters similar to an old ships hull. It was absolutely beautiful! The woman who owned it had chosen not to insulate it as it would cover the rafters. We spoke to some people in the nearby Inn and they joked that if there was ever a flod they would simply tip her shed over and use it as an ark. :lol: I wish I'd had my camera with me.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Oct 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Oh my; I wonder which rock I've been living under for all these years! I didn't even know what a quonset was! I did look it up though and had a bit of a chuckle to myself.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ron Evers » Oct 25, 2012 7:32 pm

The treatment is different but I am not sure it works for me. I would like to see it next to the original to be sure.

Not a hip roof but a gable Brenda, a simple hip slopes to four sides.
Ron.

The wood is clear between the knots.
Ron Evers

Postby Katherine » Oct 26, 2012 1:32 pm

BBQ you gotta get out more! (I didnt know what a quonset hut was either but my prairie born DH set me straight.)

And please do take more photographs when you are there, and if you dont mind my saying so, you can never take too many. They can always be stored on an external drive if needs be. And I always think its possible to focus on the drop dead gorgeous AND the unusual! Sometimes the unusual turns out to be ddg in a photo, and I have looked at these and said 'who knew?'

Ron, to each his own. Not everyone likes "grunge" effects on a photo. Its sumpin to do on a fall evening though.
Thanks Lyn...

Ok question....should we have a photo contest? Where is BB? She was here then gone again.

ke
Katherine

Postby B_BQ » Oct 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Katherine wrote:Ok question....should we have a photo contest?

I vote NO to a contest per se! Photographs are so subjective - one man's meat is another man's poison, etc.

Posting pics by theme might be interesting though, e.g. vistas, clouds, water, architecture, funny, not-so-funny, ramshackle, modern, etc.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Katherine » Oct 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, technically we never had any REAL prizes and I think the shed contest was more of a gallery, so yeah. But we should try to do SOMETHING.

I like your themes. They all sound good. I remember MareE had this idea we should do pix of wind in March. Remember that? Its darned hard to photograph WIND. But the results were HILARIOUS. So we should try it.

Photography keeps you young.

ke
Katherine

Postby Eeyore » Oct 26, 2012 7:25 pm

I like the idea of doing a NONTEST but someone else is gonna have to pick a topic and start a thread. Yup, MareE's Wind nontest was a great laugh and lots of fun. I'm sure we can find some Guidelimes around here somewhere....Maybe we can breathe some life back into this forum before it goes on life support.... :shock:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Over the Garden Fence