Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

S N O W !

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

S N O W !

Postby Heidi S » Oct 02, 2012 10:16 pm

fell today in my town - it didn't last, but apparently it was just giv'n her at breakfast. I had an email from my hubby at 6:30 am to inform me, as I am in Vancouver looking after Dad still.

I guess that means I need to get my winter gear ready when I go home on Saturday...
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: S N O W !

Postby Smitty » Oct 03, 2012 5:51 am

not to be rude Heidi.............but keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please..was 22 here yesterday..unbeleivable for MB
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby kelly_m » Oct 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Pppppffffffttttttttt!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby maryjanej » Oct 04, 2012 2:23 am

Oh no Heidi not the S word.
Not ready for that yet please don't send it this way yet.
Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby Heidi S » Oct 26, 2012 5:44 pm

And it happened again! only this time it stuck... All day yesterday we had a light, gentle snowfall, which didn't seem to accumulate until evening, when suddenly there was white on the grass. There is only about 1/2 an inch or so, but there were lots of cars in ditches last evening.

My little dog Molly went zooming around the back yard as she LOVES snow.

Good thing I had my appointment for my snow tires to be put on for today. I am always amazed at how noisy studded snow tires sound when you get them on, but after a while you don't notice anymore, until you get the summers put back and then it seems so quiet.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Oct 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Here I go showing my age again. You can thank a Swedish Specialty Steel Co. for the introduction of tungsten tipped studs for snow tires to Canada. Fagersta Steels introduced them if I recall correctly approx. 1962 when most autos were still rear wheel drive & typically Canadian, a lot of drivers only put them on the rear wheels instead of all four forgetting that steerage is very important on icy roadways. Fagersta Steels has one of the oldest Company Charters in the World dating back to the 800's. You read it right...800's not 1800's. On bare pavement days on the QE Hwy you could hear some guy doing 100 mph coming because all you could hear was EEEEEEEEEEEEE ! :shock:
I think Albertan's are still the worst drivers' in Canada. A little skiff of snow & all kinds of them end up in the ditch. What makes them even worse is the large numbers with PU Trucks & big SUV's & really have no idea on how to drive them & can't give you a good reason as to why they are driving that kind of vehicle especially when they demonstrate that they can't even properly park them, let alone drive them.
We got a little skiff of snow & sent it on to Saskatoon. Tomorrow the lawnmower gets serviced & stowed & the snowblower readied for the day I roll out in the morning to serious white stuff out there laying on the ground.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Heidi S » Oct 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Gonna be 10 cm of the white stuff tonight according to Environment Canada. I guess those carrots are not getting dug up this year....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Oct 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Well 10CM can still be overcome Heidi. The ground is not likely frozen hard yet so with the snow pushed aside you should still be able to harvest them. When we lived on an acreage 20 miles east of Edmonton I often havested the carrots after it had snowed. In fact, we had a walkout bungalow with a deck that ran the full length of the house & attached garage. I dug into the bank under the deck at the back end of the garage. Sunk a garbage can into the hole & wrapped insulation around it & on the lid. We stored our carrots in it most of the winter....used to run out about the end of Feb. They were good yum,yum.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Heidi I did the same as Lee. When I lived in Quesnel, I on occasion have dug up carrots after it snowed, and I also have put a garbage can in the ground and kept carrots in it. - After a couple of years I discovered if I put holes in the bottom of the garbage can, and put a bit of a rack in the bottom I didn't have to worry about them sitting in water. - even though I put the lid on, water always managed to get into it.

How's your Dad? He's in Vancouver? Do you have other relatives that can visit him there? Hopefully he will settle in soon. Sometimes it takes a while. Hang in there!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Katherine » Oct 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Thats a great tip, Ruby.

This year for the first time, i just went to one of the organic veggie stores here, of which we have quite a few, and bought a big bag of carrots and a big bag of potatoes. And I mean big. They come up to my waist and weigh.. i dunno a LOT. Cost me 50 bucks, which is a lot but if I calculate the cost of the time and effort, maybe its worth it I dont know. I just dont have a veg garden worth a plugged nickel. I think I might be able to dig a hole into my cliff bank and stuff a big can in there, at an angle with some holes in it, lol! OR I have a cool storage room, is that good enough? I like the idea of a root cellar in the cliff bank as I have a little zig zag trail down there, but im also afraid I will get going on that slope and sail out into space. Im too old to fly. especially for a couple of carrots and a potatoe.

kat
Katherine

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence