Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Washing sensitive material ...

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Washing sensitive material ...

Postby bluewillow » Oct 27, 2012 10:43 am

Most likely many will think this is a weird solution. However I am tempted to throw my bills, sensitive banking material etc. into my front load washer and give it a try. On a previous occasion it took me a full day of shredding sensitive material and have so much more to destroy. Unfortunately we are forbidden to burn anything outdoors and I lack a fireplace.
Wondering if anyone has taken this drastic route.

Thanks.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Re: Washing sensitive material ...

Postby B_BQ » Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am

Is this tongue-in-cheek?

I would think washing all that paper might cause some clogging problems in your washing machine and outlet pipes, causing disastrous and expensive results.

We have what seems like tons of sensitive private material we have to dispose of each and every week. We use a good shredder that cuts it into small pieces, (not long strips), and we put it out for recycling in a see-through plastic bag every week.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby bluewillow » Oct 27, 2012 11:05 am

No Brenda .... I'm quite serious. You are corect ... best to think of my washer and the damage it could do. Could always throw my papers into a net bag and then into the washer and let the papers soak for a time. My shredder isn't the best and perhaps it is time to upgrade. So much paper, so much waste, so many trees.

Thanks Brenda!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby davefrombc » Oct 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Don't clog your washer, shred those documents. That shredded paper is not waste. You can use it for bedding for a worm composter, or just add it to your compost pile. If you are a crafter, use it to make papier - mache or even recycle it into your own home made paper. I'm sure others can suggest uses for the shredded paper. The only gotcha in the crafting , is finding the time for it but it is something to consider for a winter project when you can't do much in the way of outdoor gardening.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby bluewillow » Oct 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks Dave. No washing that sensitive material *sigh*. I never thought of the compost bin. Great tip!

sheila
bluewillow

Postby B_BQ » Oct 27, 2012 1:24 pm

We generate so much shredded paper here, (at least one, sometimes two, large see-through garden bags per week), that there is no hope of me composting it. Hopefully all the recycled shredded paper is turned back into paper or other useful commodities, which in turn can then be re-recycled..... and so on! :roll:

When I was growing up in England, during the winter months my father, and then the children as soon as they were old enough, each week tightly concertina'd all the newspapers and these were used for starting the daily fire instead of kindling, which cost too much money!

Sheila: If you don't have very much paper, then try filling a large bucket with water and bleach and put the paper into that. See how it works in removing any sensitive printing. If it works, and after you've wrung it out, then you could put it out with your newspapers.

~BBQ

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Marsher » Oct 27, 2012 1:48 pm

here's a thought... bucket hot water as suggested ... then an electric drill powered paint or plaster mixer.... elmulsify then pour on compost pile
Last edited by Marsher on Oct 27, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Located Brantford Ontario Zone 5 B
Marsher

Postby Heidi S » Oct 27, 2012 1:49 pm

HaHa!

In preparing my Dad's place for moving him, I discovered he had over 20 years of bills, tax returns and 'stuff' in his very crowded file cabinet. He also files things under several categories, which confused the heck out of me.

So, after informing him he had absolutely no need of more than 3 years of bills including the one he is currently collecting (2012), and a maximum of 7 years of tax returns, and no warranty documents that have either expired, or the item is not in use any more, I spent almost a week running the excess through his lame shredder and putting the output in the condo's recycle bins. Good rainy weather activity though!

And he fretted on the sidelines while I did it. But really, Dad? I prepare your tax returns, I do your banking (on line mostly) and we were downsizing him to a small apartment in a seniors' facility - LET"S PURGE!

He is still squawking about my rearranging the file folders (ie I consolidated 3 into one for the same topic) but he is finding things again, when needed. He didn't like that I put all the active files up front so I can find them when I go to do his tax return, but I had unfortunately found bills that could have been in his earlier returns if I had known about them (time has elapsed though).

Just a couple of type A personalities, butting head!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby bluewillow » Oct 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks all! Might try the bleach and hot water trick ... lol ... I just cannot believe just how much *stuff* I have and thanks to Heidi I forgot about all the older income tax papers. My goodness!

:)

sheila

Wish I had one of those newish fire pits which I could make good use of along with a sprinkle of lawnmower juice.
bluewillow

Return to Over the Garden Fence