Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Pending Storm!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Pending Storm!

Postby B_BQ » Oct 29, 2012 1:00 pm

I was awake during the night and made the decision to head off early this morning to pick up some extra supplies from the grocery store. I do keep a fairly well stocked pantry, but as I have an extra fridge and freezer I thought it wouldn't hurt to have extra bread, milk, eggs, potatoes, meat, etc. Of course, if we lose the electricity for any length of time we could lose it all anyway. We've got lots of candles and I've filled up two 5-gallon water containers in case there are water problems.

We have steps leading down to the basement outdoors with a drain, but at this time of the year it fills up constantly with leaves, (next-door-neighbours!), so we have to make sure that the drain is kept clear for water to drain away; otherwise it will force itself into the basement!

Will try to remember to keep all the techno gizmos and gadgets fully charged up too!

What is everyone else who may be affected doing?

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Re: Pending Storm!

Postby Rupietoot » Oct 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I don't think we will be seriously affected here in Northern NB but we are battening down our hatches :) Making sure that all is put away and / or secured. We have a propane fireplace and lots of food and extra water so hopefully everythign will be fine. I think the southern part of the province will be hit more than us.

Susan
Rupietoot

Postby davefrombc » Oct 29, 2012 1:29 pm

A good generator of about 3,000 to 3500 Watt capacity is a reasonably inexpensive way to have emergency power to run your furnace and fridges or freezers over extended power outages .. Be sure to have a heavy duty extension cord to reach from your generator outside to the appliance you want to run ..
Never run a generator inside.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Eeyore » Oct 29, 2012 2:58 pm

We won't be affected by Sandy here but sure am keeping an eye on my eastern neighbours.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Big Smile » Oct 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Brenda , you sure are prepared!! I don't think it will get as bad as they make it sound but you never know. We have a gas fireplace and a gas stove so we will keep warm and I can cook if the power goes off. We also have a Generator but have never needed to use it. Hubby starts it up once in a while to make sure it runs.

We have a funeral at 11 am. at church tomorrow and I need to be there at 7am. to help prepare the lunch. Lucky I am only 7 minutes away.
Clara
Big Smile

Postby B_BQ » Oct 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Clara: I think most of us carry enough stuff in our homes to get through a couple of days. The extras won't be wasted hopefully, (depends on whether we lose electricity for an extended period of time), and they'll be used in the fullness of time. The water will be used for 'watering'! lol

My biggest worry is the next-door-neighbours' ennormous maple tree, a good portion of which is hanging over our roof! She says that she is going to get it taken down this fall, but we're keeping fingers crossed that heavy rain and high winds won't do it for her - with our roof taking the brunt of it!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Return to Over the Garden Fence