Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Carrots, At Last!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Carrots, At Last!

Postby Heidi S » Nov 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Well, these were still in the ground when the cold hit, and then the big snow storm, and while I managed to lever the leeks out of the frozen ground, I couldn't get the carrots out. However, today the temp is +5 and the snow is melting, so I rummaged around with my spading fork and managed to get these ones out. I suspect there may still be some in the ground, but I will leave those to become compost, I suppose.

Carrots, At Last!.jpg
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Carrots, At Last!

Postby Eeyore » Nov 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Bet you they will be sweet and tasty Heidi!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Nov 04, 2012 9:34 am

What a nice haul! A little trim and a scrub with a soft nailbrush and they'll be so sweet and tasty.

I still have carrots in the ground too. Fortunately we've not had freezing temps yet and the soil is still very soft. I've been picking them as needed, but I think I'll listen to the weather forecast and once a 'heads up' is given for a plunge in temps then I'll dig up the rest.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Northpine » Nov 04, 2012 12:39 pm

I've been caught a couple of times by leaving carrots too long in the ground because I like to leave them as long as possible since they don't mind the cold at all and it means the less time I have to store them indoors. On the other hand I hate digging them out of the snow.
Glad you got to harvest yours. As others said, they are going to be super sweet.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Heidi S » Nov 04, 2012 11:50 pm

We ate some for tonight's supper - they were crispy and yummy! - So, I can honestly say the freezing did not cause any problems. Good to know - but it was hard work getting them out of the ground even having defrosted some. Of course, the big freeze was early and caught me by surprise then the 26 cm of snow on top, and I thought I was stuck with orange compost. Lesson learned - and they are the best carrots I have ever grown too!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby davefrombc » Nov 05, 2012 12:50 pm

The ones that are left in the ground should be ok until you dig them out too.. If left 'til spring get them before they start regrowing though. that's when they go woody .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Return to Over the Garden Fence