Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

US Election

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: US Election

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 04, 2012 7:22 pm

Lizcordysmum wrote:Lots of private comments going on in my head...likely best place for them. Will say that cleaning out that snake pit is the Real task...and methinks it would take a miracle.

I would very much like to have President Obama for a close personal friend. (and NO, I am not on Facebook!!! don't want those kind of "friends"!)

Best of luck to you, Closet Canuck...and all the others like you.

Sincerely,
Liz

Oh, come on! You're among friends! LOL You are right about cleaning out the snakepit - a miracle is what we need.

Me, too, on the "Obama for a close personal friend." He would be fun to be around. In person, he is the kindest, most sincere person. And, that smile - it just lights up the room.

I've got my fingers crossed. A little luck along with the really good ground game B.O.'s team has been putting on should do it.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Electioneering fatigue, Trish...pure and simple. Horror and disgust at the financial costs of the election. I hope our Cdn. politicians have common sense.

Once I spoke up in favour of President Obama, what else is there to say?

Aftereffects of Sandy far more concerning to me right now...I pray that the Newfoundland experience rules the day for the folks affected.

(note: wind gusts here now up to 67 kph...Woo Woo!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm

I understand election fatigue, Lizzie. And the money they spent - $2 billion - what a waste!!!

My thoughts are with the people of Newfoundland.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Heidi S » Nov 07, 2012 1:17 am

Oy Vey, things are still interesting at 9:15 pm, Pacific time - Alaska polls not closed yet, but Obama showing 290 electoral votes vs. 203 Romney. Popular vote is 49.9 to 50.1. This electoral college system seems whacky to me, but I'll take Obama's win however it happens at this point.

Mr. Romney SCARES me - sort of like Mr. Harper does. Of course, I live within 25 km of the Northern Gateway path, and do NOT want that to go ahead - No Thank You!

Between the Birthers and Tea Partier factions, the right side of the US political system seems completely wingnutty to me!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 07, 2012 10:11 am

Heidi S wrote:..............Mr. Romney SCARES me - sort of like Mr. Harper does. Of course, I live within 25 km of the Northern Gateway path, and do NOT want that to go ahead - No Thank You!

Between the Birthers and Tea Partier factions, the right side of the US political system seems completely wingnutty to me!

Well, not to worry until 2016. Barack Obama has been re-elected. What a relief, eh??? Mitt Romney gave a short but very gracious concession speech. If his campaign had been like his concession speech he would probably be president.

The best part of the whole evening was when Elizabeth Warren won the Massachusetts senate seat from Scott Brown. Doctor Warren is a Harvard professor. She advocated for the development of the Consumer Protection Department in the federal government. After the department was authorized by Congress, Barack Obama appointed her to be the first head of it BUT Republicans in Congress blocked her nomination because she would have been too hard on the financial community.

The Republican Party won the battle but lost the war because Warren now is a senator, not a department head who could be grilled by congress in hearings. Last night commentators said senator-elect Warren will be more knowledgeable than any other person on Capitol Hill on issues of consumer debt because that is her area of research at Harvard. Oooops!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Things are looking better here in the land of crazy people and crazy politics. I don't know what to say about Stephen Harper.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » Nov 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Can we have Barack Obama for leader of the Liberal party?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 07, 2012 4:32 pm

Eeyore wrote:Can we have Barack Obama for leader of the Liberal party?

Sure. When his term is up in 2016.

A Closet Canuck

Postby B_BQ » Nov 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Well, thank goodness it's now over and done with. Perhaps they can now get on and do the job they were elected to do.

Lynn: We certainly need 'someone' with intelligence, integrity, charisma, charm and guts, for all parties, or is that asking a bit too much? lol

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Was beside myself with happiness last night!

Well DONE Trish...lovely to wake up and find so many concerned and thoughtful fellow citizens. I stayed awake to the very end. Well, Florida I understand will be awhile, BUT.

I would like to respectfully point out that my reference to Newfoundland was to the grounding of all US flights by the FAA, on 9/11. Those flights already over the halfway mark on journeys from Europe, etc. were given safe landing in Canada, many in Newfoundland. The folks aboard were taken to schools, rec centre,hotels, church basements initially, but Newfoundlanders decided that would NOT do for frightened unhappy people and took their to their hearts. Specifically, they took them into their homes. (Other provinces did the same thing of course, but Newfoundland captured all our hearts, as it did for many Americans (and Europeans.)

(NOT bragging here. But,very proud.)

AND, I was saying to you I was hoping very much that other Americans safe in their own homes, would reach out and take in the poor folks who were so battered physically and emotionally by Sandy.

LOVED those Marathoners who showed up along the route to hand out free batteries for flashlighs/radios, and packets of wet-wipes for folks. That was really thoughtful, and very kind and caring. Imagine the conditions and then think of the JOY of having wet wipes...makes me want to cry for happy!

Best of luck, Trish...and all Americans...may the next four years be positive ones. Long-lasting, too!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Lizcordysmum wrote:Was beside myself with happiness last night!

Well DONE Trish...lovely to wake up and find so many concerned and thoughtful fellow citizens. I stayed awake to the very end. Well, Florida I understand will be awhile, BUT.

I stayed up to the end, too, listening to Obama's speech and Romney's speech. Both were very concilliatory.

And, Florida went for Obama and without a nasty ballot fight!

I know what you are saying about Newfoundland. I remember the Canadian compassion shown to travelers by residents of St. John's.

A Closet Canuck

PreviousNext

Return to Over the Garden Fence