Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Dearest Lizzy.....

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: Dearest Lizzy.....

Postby Heidi S » Nov 07, 2012 1:31 am

Now then, Ms. Lizzy - you be VERY careful on that scooter - my dear old Daddy managed to come off his on July 14th, and fractured his right humerus into many pieces. This set off a series of health changes and he had to be moved into a seniors' facility a month ago, after I spent 3 months down at the coast looking after him. He will never regain full use of his right arm again.

He now rides a motorized wheelchair instead, and it can't go as fast (Thank heavens!) Dad seemed to think he was very safe on his scooter, but having tried to keep up with him on foot, I can honestly say, he was trying out for the Indy 500 on Kingsway, and lost the race in a spectacular crash.

So enjoy your freedom on you new steed, but make sure you have a visibility flag on it, and keep the speed down, woman!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 07, 2012 4:12 pm

Heidi (and Joy!)

Re safety: The scooter is for walking Lily. Lily is a Shih Tzuh and short-legged...AND the whole purpose of going scooting from her point of view is to check on all her pee-mail. This cannot be achieved at top speed...nor can I keep a real eye on where she is on a very long leash...so NO great speed. (But I CAN Dream!)

Also, very hilly and slopey here and scooter does not like hilly and slopey...slows right down. It was second hand, and came with a BIG Canadian flag. It has arm rests, and I ride MOSTLY on side walks, except to cross streets/and find a driveway to get onto a sidewalk. I leap off to pooper-scoop.

So I am, and will be, very very careful. I am so sorry about your Dad, what rotten luck for him (and for you, too.) Thank you for caring, and for warning me.

Now...Joy!

Sounds as tho YOU had a very good day...btw I share you love of pretty clothes, altho I tend to go for pretty colours rather than elegant clothing such as yours.

I wish you could get a scooter...the feeling I felt of FREEDOM was such a boost to my morale. But, you DO get winters where you are, and I don't know a thing about scooters and winter...walking keeps you warmer, for one thing. I LOVE the cold air, myself...it is warm humid air that does me in. OR warm dry air from the open oven..puffer or no.

Calcium help with your footie cramps?

Willow and our Braveheart the Bold are a team...mostly sleep these days. Glad your fish made it...and foiled Rocky.
Our dear old Cordy is on heart meds, and diuretics...congestive heart failure...he feels so much better he bounds like a puppy with Lily...short-lived bounds, but bounds nonetheless.
Molly, Jim's little Shih Tzuh had severe sudden eye problems in the summer...lots of meds...and the problem is controlled and little girl feels much more comfortable and playful again.
Is a good thing we are commited.

Hamish continues to be gorgeous...is huge. Lovely dark orange, sweet face....very sensuous....he's a TREAT!

I too found it hard to watch earlier parts of US election, was making myself sick over it. Fortunately I fell into a deep sleep (cannot handle stress) and when I woke up at 9, CNN was proclaiming Obama as winner. I spent a joyful evening, I tell you!

Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby davefrombc » Nov 07, 2012 5:49 pm

Hmmmmmm Liz , a bit bigger batteries , a little voltage tweak........ Look what's been done with riding lawnmowers... LOL... Maybe that scooter can be made to flatten the hills some :twisted:
I'm sure custom scooters could be built.. Grippy winter tires, enclosed "cabin" ( I've seen some here with those for our soggy weather) .. LOL maybe some 4 wheeling club would like to build a custom 4x4 scooter for their own version of the " Little Old Lady from Passadena " ( I know aging us if you remember that song ) :lol:
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby agedgardener2 » Nov 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Dave ; I hope you aren't thinking of me as " A little old Lady".I am rather old...83..and little 5'2" but I'd rather be considered an inactive sexy senior citizen!! I keep taking Taxi and not risk life and limb.Joy
agedgardener2

Postby davefrombc » Nov 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Well, Joy , you have 14 years on me, so maybe the song from 1964 didn't register with you.
The " little old lady from Pasadena" may have been the used cars salesman's story of a previous owner who"only drove the car to church on Sunday". but the songs version was a rockin' rollin' little old sexy senior that blew away the boys on the drag strip.. LOL...
Last edited by davefrombc on Nov 07, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Dave, a very long time ago when there were still unicorns, you'll remember that Canada's highways still bore 100 MILES per hour speed signs.

I was born with a lead foot, and "Little Old Lady From Pasadea" used to be my song...the kids (YES, the KIDS) would hop into the car, no seat belts of course, no booster or car seats, and yell, "go Mommy go Mommy, go Mommy GO!"

And damn fool Mommy went.

I am horrified today.

I suspect Jim has managed to put a governor on it, somehow.

My scooter does not have a cabin, or even a canopy...have you ever seen the price of cabins? I got my scooter 2nd hand for $750...is in new new shape, lovely huge battery that I can hardly lift...and it WILL go faster on the level, but there's no way Lily is built for sustained speeds like that...it would be cruel.

The hills here...Powell River is built on a mountain side that the mill people made into terraces, for streets and houses...some of the hills down are too steep (I have vertigo) and of course, I could never get home again.

Oh but I CAN dream! (and when I get my cataracts removed, I'll be able to see properly, too!)

Today's mishap: went into the bank (for first time in over a year...and nice lady showed me what to do as I tried to stuff bank card into printed slip spit-out....
Finished, I walked outside, back towards my car...I have a metal card holder...so convenient, except it tends to snap or refuse to snap, Always a Surprise!

So I did my Magic Trick and flipped 8 cards out onto the parking area...some slid underneath a parked car.

Down I went on hands and knees...but before I hit the dirt, a beautifully dressed, STOCKINGS and HIGH HEELS-ckad lady raced to my rescue...down on HER knees, half under the car, picking up the cards and all set to gently raise me to my feet. (harumph.)

I was wearing my usual ratty jeans too...gotta, because I have puppies who are overjoyed to see their Mommy...Leapin' Lizards!

JOY? (or should I address you as Sexy?) I was also wearing my gorgeous ORANGE sweatshirt, and my hot pink socks...and a big smile, of course!

Oh how I LOVE Christmas shopping...if only the stores would play Christmas music too!

My next stupid trick will likely be falling off my brand new toilet seat raiser upper...we measured my toilet and discovered it is just 13 1/2 inches high...if it wasn't for the very high claw floot bathtub beside the terlet, I would be typing to you from the Throne Room.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby agedgardener2 » Nov 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Liz what do you mean by a toilet seat raiser upper? I just don't let myself think of myself as a little old lady.You should see how fast I can go with my walker on "good" days.My daughter made a new bed for Willow. He has to be talked into using it.Here he is on
a cold afternoon.
Liz I take Calcium,magnesium and quinine for the cramps and drink copious amounts of water .They seem to be brought on by too much walking or standing.
I am not elegant in my dress. I just dress like I always did.People in my age group here tend to dress up more than those in the west. My brother always teased me about my "in his opinion" fancy clothes. I lived in White Rock one winter and noticed that older ladies didn't dress up like the ones down here.Cheers J
willow in new bed 001.JPG
oy
agedgardener2

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm

I made one of those beds for Hamish...he loved it all the while I was knitting it, but he will not sleep in it now. It MUST be on the sofa though, or he cries....LOUDLY.

Mostly, ladies in our age group dress for warmth and comfort here...pretty tops for dress up, jewels, etc. And you will see the odd one, dressed to the hilt, at the doctor's offices...when I see one lovely lady like that, I always want to use the back entrance.

A toilet raiser upper: a raised toilet seat that is 4 1/2 inches higher than the one you (and I) have got. It has arm rests on both sides, you can use both, one, or none if you choose. It is easy to clean, (or so it says) easy to install (fits over your regular toilet seat, and it takes someone up to 300 lbs...Got it from Sears catalogue...$80.00 The lady we bought the house from was a very tiny little woman...child size toilet was perfect for her. I should have replaced the toilet long ago, AND bought the raiser upper as well...STILL might have to, we shall see.

My left foot cramps badly...it's positional tho, I think...the right one doesn't.

I have a new GrandKitty...his name is Ozzie and he is ONLY 7 months old...he is faster than a speeding bullet!
Attachments
Ozzie.jpg
ozzie 2.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence