Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

US Election

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: US Election

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm

davefrombc wrote:I'm afraid the Republicans are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to any social reforms proposed by Obama ......

Maybe not. The country is facing the "fiscal cliff" created by a do-nothing congress. Effective January 1, 2013, draconian cuts occur automatically to social programs and the military. The Bush era tax cuts expire and the "marriage penalty" returns. Republicans will have angry constituents as will Democrats. It's a no win situation that might spur them to action. Obama seems to be in favor of a grand bargain; Republicans may have no choice but to go along.

Lizzie, I get it about the bitumen and the crude it carries. It is too bad the world is so dependent on oil that it has to dig big holes in western Cda and ship the stuff across the ocean. I hope you and yours are succesful in stopping the pipeline and protecting the strait. Vancouver/BC is on our list of places in Cda to visit. Do want to get there before a man-made disaster ruins it!!!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Trish...(dang, I increased the font size, and I STILL cannot read what I am typing unless I put nose smudges on the screen)

I hear you. I have MORE faith in American-kind. Despite all the blather on world-round sites I've been to the past couple of days, I continue to believe that Some People are going to have to listen up, pay attention...their way only madness lies.

And President Obama has an awful lot of public support,not just round the world, but from his own people. The rest is sounding like sour grapes, sore losers...and surely to C. it has got to sink in. There is no room for small-minded, protectionist policies, when the ship of state is sinking.

I hope you do make it to "beautiful, beautiful, British Columbia" (it's a song that almost made me frow up when I first moved here...I couldn't see anything, damn mountains got in the way of the view...I'm a flatlander at heart, you see!) BUT, we are NOT going down...Our Premier is (comparable to Governor for you.)

AND, I apologize for our Prime Minister who suggested you guys get your fiscal act together. He has mucho stuff to "get together" HERE at home, and enough of staying out of the country so he won't have to take hits from a very dissatisfied populace. I will give the man every chance, to make good decisions...but they better be good for Canadians, not just for the Money-Men.

btw, did you know that kiddies approaching his Very Formal residence on Hallowe'en, had their bags searched FIRST, by the RCMP, and swords and lasers removed from costumes?

Our last PM or his wifey whacked an intruder with a bit of statuary, while the RCMP snoozed on the job. THAT PM took a cream pie in the puss in public, as well.

THIS one travels with expensive cars to protect his royal astilbe. A SLUR on the great democracy that is India who can and do provide limos for foreign dignataries...guess he'll need the Army to go out in public here!

I got a warm feeling on today's CBC news around noon...seems lots of help in the hurricane area of the eastern U.S. The snowstorm was hideous, and the Con Ed people quit when it got bad...the CANADIANS (brag brag brag) kept on WORKING...and driver's by, stopped and applauded them for doing it. Our guys learned in the horrific Ice Storm several years back. May it, and what's going on now, NEVER be repeated.

I could find no back up sources for the above...kinda like CNN and the report of the poor widdle diddems drone shot at by Iran. Don't fall for this. Drones are NOT peopel-too!

Lizzy, who talks too much, once she gets going.

Love YOU, Trish.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » Nov 09, 2012 10:53 am

Well, Lizzie, it sounds like you are not wearing rose-colored glasses when speaking about your government. So, your premier in B.C. will be getting the boot. That will certainly send a message. As for Stephen Harper, isn't it funny how conservatives like Stephen and Mitt put the business community first? At least, that is what they want us to think. Here small businesses are treated as poorly as the general populace while big business is lord of the manor.

In the end though, big businesses are warming to the Obama agenda because not making changes will hurt them, too. There have been calls from large corporations to keep education and other programs intact because of the disasterous effects cuts will have on the workforce and the military.

So, we will see how it all plays out.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby davefrombc » Nov 09, 2012 12:38 pm

The military needs some drastic cuts , not so much in personnel as in the procurement of materiel far in excess of what even the military leadership asks for. Cutting spending on education , including the PBS, has the effect of dumbing down the nation. That certainly isn't what is needed to provide good jobs and prosperity through innovation in an increasingly high-tech world .The hard right need to give their heads a shake and realize the future of the country depends more on brains than on bombs and bullets.
The two biggest nations in the world that don't have an adequate public healthcare system, while spending excessively on their military ? The US and China.
Right wing Republicans would be amazed at how much their attitudes are similar to the hard liners in the Chinese communist party.. Both are under increasing pressure from a population that is much more moderate . One big difference between the Chinese and Republicans.. The Chinese are spending hugely on education and research, and it shows . The American right can cry all they want about Chinese espionage targeting American technology; but are we really naive enough to believe the opposite is not also true? There are a lot of innovations in technology and communications coming out of China that have the big American companies running scared. Witness the cries that Chinese telecom equipment can open vulnerabilities to data theft and electronic spying; so far without any proof whatsoever it is going on. What the US companies don't say is theirs can be too. You can't compete without an educated workforce; from the designers and engineers at the top to the technicians on the floor .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Hard Right are crying in their tea cups,

And I have to say I have sympathy with the sane ones who are fighting ridiculous expenditures, because we know that money is going where it shoulldn't be going.

We all think of "them" as extreme rightists, who hate the poor and downtrodden who do not give a damn about how hard the rest of us must work while they ride for free....and while miskewed, that is valid.

And if that is all we ever heard about, we'd have a very good point...and it is part of the issues MY Canada faces too.

WE here, must not let anyone divide us. IF your area's FOOD BANK is begging....be good samaritans. Don't take out your anger on helpless kids.

Talk about the positive things...libraries (Texas closed them) the helping of animals in distress, the TRUE COST of low wages, the reality of single mothers (and stop watching young whores on tv in Reality Shows!)....and yes, Pay some attention to that little brat Honey-Boo Boos, because no matter how you love to deride her and her family, have you got that much LOVE in your life?

If you really truly believe in "suffer the little children" then put your money where your mouth is...higher taxes, better state/province supported issues.

The Money-Men sat this one out....they have sat out since Obama was elected. I don't see him as "the Messiah"...I do believe in Hope and Change.

I also believe in words like Dignity, Honour, Integrity, Love, (what Charity actually means), Faith, and, Responsibility.

And, Hard, hard, hard, work.

Being a Good Example.

For Canadians, Tomorrow is the Reminder Day when the Torch is passed on to you. It is NOT about HEROES. It is about people who cared. enough to give their lives for the rest of us....and just plain folks who got caught up in horrible horrible wars.

Never get taken up in fancy words. Stick with Dignity, Honour, Charity, Faith and Responsibility.

I accepted that TORCH, and raised my kids by it...my time is soon ended.

Please carry on....and...yeah...stay Calm.

Lizzie
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence