Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Shocked!!!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Shocked!!!

Postby agedgardener2 » Nov 14, 2012 7:30 pm

I am shocked at the inactivity on Canadian Gardening.It is 7:30 and I only see one post for today.Is the forum dying a slow death? Joy
agedgardener2

Re: Shocked!!!

Postby kelly_m » Nov 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Apathy reigns supreme, joy!!!

On the other hand...MareE showed up!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby B_BQ » Nov 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Well Joy, I've certainly done my best to keep things going over the past several months.

When Ron couldn't post his supper tonight I stepped up to the plate and tried to keep it going - to no avail. No-one was/is interested. So I'm not going to waste my time on that any more.

I've also posted pictures of various plants, scenery, sky, vacations to beautiful places, etc., but, again, very few are interested.

Those of us who have tried to keep things going and met up with a brick wall have slowly given up.

It doesn't matter if one is a professional photographer, a very good amateur photographer, or a point and shoot photographer, we all have to go through the same steps to post a pic, and when no-one bothers to acknowledge even the effort then after a while we also lose interest.

Many of the forum members use Facebook now to talk and post pics of their gardens and plants, and their comings and goings.

Also, the forum is not very user friendly. I've been kicked off again recently and have had to re-register. Safari doesn't work on any of my computers and/or iPad/iPhone, and Firefox only works on my iMac and MacBook Air but not my iPhone or iPad. :x

~B_BQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 15, 2012 1:31 am

Apologies for not holding up my end.

to those who have already viewed on email my Dinner Side, here it is again..just as it happened.

Only sub-excellent photo is Lily and Molly...Lily the Ferocious, and Molly Miss Perectiong.

No one wants to hear about my raking esperience today...too manyn have their very own!

;For those who turn their pretty little nosies up at the word "bulgur"...think again.

I suggest you make half the receipt...it keeps nicely in the fridge and tastes excellent on Day 1, 2. 3. 4...and I suspect will freeze and thaw well and be a delight to taste buds thereafter.

Here we go:

First of all, bulgur is CRACKED WHEAT. Nothing else, not scary.

You can mess around with this receipt...Dog knows I did.

1 cup dry bulgur. NO there are no bugs in it...you would add it to your breadmaker without a thought!
3 cups low sodium chicken broth divided....(or veggie, or beef, or water, juice)
1/2 cup frozen peas....DOUBLE THIS
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese...double this, the white stuff, the good stuff,,,skices, grated, mandolined, chunks...YUMMY!
1/4 cup evaporated low fat milk....or whole milk,1%, 2 %...or try some buttermilk, or maybe even coconut milk, tomato/clamato juice...

Primary staples:

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided...yeah, right. Use what you already know works well for you.)
1 large yellow onion, or the onion of your choice, chopped
2 cloves of garlic or generous helping of powdered garlic (which is what I used.)....minced if real thing
1/2 tsp of dried tarragon, or good handful of fennel seed...or frig around with star anise if you are familiar with it.

Heavy saucepan. Heat Tbsp of oil on medium, add onion, garlic...saute, stirring a lot IF powdered, will blacken quickly...stir up hard, you don't want blackened bits.

Takes 5 minutes...add dry bulgur.

Now, add 1/2 cup of broth to bulgur mixture....bring to a simmer and cook, stirring until liquid is absorbed...this takes about t0 minutes....keep temp low and you can walk away from it...YES.

Add another 1/2 cup of broth do again...about 5 minutes, or more....do it again and again and again till you could scream.

When your choice of liquid is used up, if mixture still looks DRY, use water...tomato juice...clamato juice.

I found it really didn't look a whole lot different from the first simmering/stirring/dry up. Keep the faith, baby!

They say "stir till creamy" I never saw "creamy" I do see finished product that looks like finely ground hamburger/veggies fried up. NOPE.

20 minutes more stirring...or more.

Now, if you are tired, add the peas. the lovely lovely Parmesan, the milk, the tarragon (I fried up the fennel seeds right from the start of all of this...no I didn't macerate them with the hand pounder/grinder thingie)....add remaining tbsp of o8l. Cook until heated through...bubbling, stir the bottom PLEASE.

Now it is good to go.

"This IS interesting!" "Tastes Good!"

But, the NEXT day...and days 3,4...migod, this is YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.

I am telling you TRUE.

The little grains swell up, are see-through, kinda like the thingies you put in your garden soil to soak up water... after ut has sat overnight the fridge....heats nicely in the m/w.

I have NOT tried this yet, but I suspect it could be added to a homemade veggie or meat soup.

The deliciousness of it has surprised me for three days in a row.

How does it FEEL? Kinda like rice pudding. And tapioca pud for those who love this and I KNOW your names are Legion!

Recipe belongs to: "Comfort Foods" Clean eating magazine...a good buy, lots of yummy receipts for me/us.

And now, a not-great pic of Lily and Molly...it's a lVery Little, but LARGE life, and I love it! Forsoothe, it is SO dang good I share it, and if it catches a hook with anyone out there, welll and good. If not, it remains as alwasy...Tis a gift to be simple, tis a gift to be free.
Attachments
We're Friends today.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 15, 2012 1:39 am

PLS note, on the mighty UK Guardian where I spend a LOT of timem soeedy service THERE. the edit function leaves fokls frustrated.

The recipe calls for TEN MINUTES of stirring after each addition.

I can barely see the size of this print....MY problem, NOT theirs.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby orchidguy » Nov 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Liz,
Wonderful to see pics of your Princesses again, really missed them, and you

Brenda
B_BQ wrote:When Ron couldn't post his supper tonight I stepped up to the plate and tried to keep it going - to no avail. No-one was/is interested

hmmm...nobody? :wink: lol
btw ....can you pm me your address, so I can ship this curry to you? I know you are vacationing again, so will send it when you get back. A really good batch
orchidguy

Postby agedgardener2 » Nov 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Liz, I use Bulgar to make Tabuli but I only make it in the summer when I have mint from the garden.Your recipe sounds good but complicated.......coming from a Home Ec. teacher way back when.I put your recipe in my drafts and someday when I'm feeling good I'll try it.
I think my post may have stirred things up a little!!Lets keep thinks going.I'm posting a [picture of Willow...who rules the roost around here.He is getting ol
willow in new bed 001.JPG
d and a bit senile....forgetful but still my devoted baby! Joy
agedgardener2

Postby B_BQ » Nov 15, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm embarrased! :oops:
Of course Dan stepped up to the plate too, as did Donna, and Ron would come in when he could, (usually the next morning!).
Hope all those folks who have tried to keep things going will forgive me. I was typing faster than I was thinking!
Of course, life gets in the way sometimes, and sometimes we just get tired of the 'same old', but I would be really sorry to see the forum fold. I've been around for 10+ years, and by gum we've had some laughs along the way. There have been, and still are, some funny, friendly, intelligent, interesting, naughty, serious, great people coming and going in this forum.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby davefrombc » Nov 16, 2012 1:50 am

I think the slowdown in postings in the forum has a lot to do with the abysmally slow loading of the site so much of the time .Then add the lost posts, difficulty posting up pictures and numerous other glitches that seem to happen far too often, and you have some frustrated members.. Add to that the slowdown of gardening activities that come with the late fall and you see a big drop off in activity.
When you factor in all the distractions cutting into free time to play on here ... Halloween , Thanksgiving, Remembrance Day and Christmas shopping / preparation planning and you see a further drop off in activity here.
I seldom post up pix or comment on ones posted. I enjoy seeing the pix but I don't normally take the time to post a comment , wait to see if it went up successfully and then wait some more to get back into the menu to read other new posts. I really don't look for a lot of comments when I post either..
Hopefully activity in here will pick up once the holiday shopping is done , celebrations are behind us and the planning of the new season to come takes our minds off the dreary weather and cabin fever of winter
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby bluewillow » Nov 16, 2012 9:36 am

Always enjoy your photos Joy and Lizzie. Beautiful kitties indeed!
I have been tardy with the forum. I usually have so little to say and life is quiet.
Shall do my best to pull up my sox and comment more often. I too have noticed how many good people have strayed.

sheila
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence