Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

Trying Everything Old is New Again...feedback required.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Trying Everything Old is New Again...feedback required.

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 15, 2012 2:16 am

A lot of folks have expressed a desire for the OLD style of formatting well, here is your chance. It is entirely non officiial...hop in with your contribution, move us in a different direction, and any comments relating backwards are welcome.

there is no need to tell you to behave yourselves: you are adults.

This is NOT a popularity contest. It's just a topic to drop in on, if you want to contribute. A Group Mess, if you will.

I raked leaves today, got less than half the area done...DOG it is hard work. Has anyone else noticed all the little worms in the wet leaves? Excellent compost! Why is it that a city sized garden is too small to add all the lovelies I want to, but too big to rake dang leaves up? Riddle me this!

I am remiss with getting Christmas lighting up, before it is cold and miserable (apologies to those who live where itn is already cold and miserable, but what are your stories about folks who will NOT LISTEN to common sense? Who has Great Plans?

MEALS...cold weather meals...who is cooking? What are they cooking? What worked, what did you blow...Your opinion of receipts you tried.

Winter Photos...please, please, please. You guys might me sick...I long for. TEN days of rain ahead for me...if you REALLY love me, send Snow!

And if we get sidetracked into serious, well done, and if we get lost in some hilarity, better done.

Waht have we got to lose?

Thiis is meant to be ALL inclusiive, oldies, and newbies..SCOT...I saw YOU out there! Scots here too!...Rose tartan!

Have you guys heard about LuLus' suceeses with Georgie and Gracie? Want Laura is up to withn her life? and there is MORE peeps into the personal lives of folks we used to know and love. OUR OWN MarE has returned...

This is a change of format...nothing but a safe place to land...kinda linke coming home, dropping in, saying "Hi!" and seeing where it leads to...it has nothing to do with marketing anything...just bringing folks closer totgether.

Let's see if it can work for us. Kinda like the ABC Soup does.

Yrs.

Sincerely,
Lizzie, who might be able to type better when cataracts get done...maybe not, don't bet on it!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Trying Everything Old is New Again...feedback required.

Postby LeeInEdmonton » Nov 15, 2012 5:38 pm

We...read I, have never put up Christmas lights. Myrt used to comment that our house at night looked like a black hole in Calcutta amongst the rest of the houses which were all lit up at night. Except with the passage of time, today, more houses on the block are without lights vs those that are. See.....I knew my instincts were correct all along. :lol:

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby kelly_m » Nov 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Lee...that's funny....cause around here more and more people are putting up lights....mind you most put them up late oct early november when they can still feel their fingers!

The smart ones leave them up all year round! LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby B_BQ » Nov 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I do leave the lights on a shrub all year round. I just need to attach an extension cord and timer MUCH closer to Christmas!

Meals are a bit too stodgy in our household! Today I made beef stew, in the pressure cooker, with cauliflower-au-gratin. (Or cauliflower cheese as we used to call it).

Leaves are raked, lawn mowed short, and most everything put away. Mind you, raking leaves is not something I am supposed to do with a rotator cuff tear and cervical herniated disc! But I love working outdoors when the sun is shining, and it has been shining for two days now. Glorious. (Meds help!) :shock:

Lovely to see some of our old friends have made it back.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby orchidguy » Nov 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Can't be bothered to put up lights, but would even be less inclined to take em down if they were put up. Cedar boughs with red bows, and suet balls decorated with seeds, fruit, veggies and meat are about the only outdoor Christmas decoration I put up.
Even my Christmas trees, are stored intact. I just remove the plastic covers, plug in, and on boxing day they are put back.....easy peasy

Meals are about the same as I've posted in the past. All the canning and pickling is done. Cheeses are in storage, both root and cold cellar is full,and all my meat, and veggies are either in the freezer or has been cured or smoked

Barns are now winterized and coops, hutches and pens are ready for the white stuff. Hired 2 hands last April, and they are getting ticked off with me. I am usually in the barns at 5:00 am, and still doing work, that I hired them to do. That habit is a hard one to break

The rugrats (Edison, Einstein and the lot) are all healthy and doing well
Mom is still here, and doing as well as can be expected for a woman her age. (let's face it, she is so old, she farts dust) BTW, this is what she says about herself, there is no disrespect on my part

Still not smoking, but have become addicted to sunflower seeds. Gotta stop eating them in bed, some mornings I wake up with a hull or two stuck to my butt....not a pretty picture

Gardens are ready for the winter season. All of them covered in the leaf mulch, and that's about it. I only prune during growing season, and I never put a protective cover over any plant.
Did get 2 new ponds put in this year, and have almost finished the Chinese Tea house smack dab in the Asian garden section.
Increased the shaded walkway gardens, and planted loads of trillium,tricyrtis, hosta, anemone, violets and oodles of narcissus
Added a couple of more rose gardens

This is about all I can relate (boring life I guess)
orchidguy

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Orchidguy...your life certainly is far from boring...as far as I am concerned. It sounds delightful!

BBQ, yours does too...and if you are interested, The Guardian ran some receipts yesterday - several recipes by different WORLD FAMOUS chefs (uh huh, just ask them!) for making your dear old Cauliflower Cheese, every which way but loose. Also a section on making cheese at home...folks trying mozzarella...and lovely cream cheeses from yoghurt (and herbs) and and and....you have to scroll down into the comments section for the chitty chat back and forth.

I SWEAR I will get my Christmas lights up, if it kills me. I love to take back the Night. Jim is a leaver upper...I like to change the design.
\
DID do for the birds...suet...attracted Starlings by the score...who fought and ate, and ate and fought and flang the empty cage on the ground and sat in the trees and swore at me. The sunflower seed bell...the Juncoes adored the ones that fell off while I was putting it up, and looked pathetically at it hanging up there, and then at me, to come and knock more off. Fortunately I have Steller Jay slaves for this. I put out peanuts every night for the Jays, on back porch railings...and I see I have to scub these railings again. The pigeons have arrived in great numbers and empy my wild bird seed feeder...WAR has been declared. I'm going to win, I don't know how, but I will. If only I didn't feel sorry for the poor pigeons.

Thank goodness I baked a LOT of beans yesterday...I do 'em with maple syrup, and bacon....and I do not have to cook tonight.

Nite nite, all.
Liz
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lulu » Nov 16, 2012 9:31 pm

Wow, Dan,,hired help or not,,that's quite an exhaustive list! I need a clone of you, to get some stuff done around here!

Ok,,here's my "What I Did Over the Summer":
My hooligans, George and Gracie (just turned two last month) are perfect listeners now! The secret,,,in September, we got an off leash dog park here in Sudbury. I've taken them every single day and we're all loving it; they finally realize they are dogs, not people! The biggest benefit is that they are much more relaxed, not so much horseplay in the house, and as I said,,are really good listeners, for everything. They are just happy, happy dogs these days. The other secret is that I discovered "halties", which makes them walk like little soldiers.

I retired in June, after 30 years with the Federal government, and am absolutely loving it! Had a big fat 65/Retirement party in my yard in July, complete with Elvis and Roy Orbinson; t'was fun. Oldest son took me to NYC for my b-day; loved it all! Glad I got to see it, before the recent devastation.

Got a new steel roof on the gazebo, as the canvas on the old one rotted out. Took the middle part of a 10ft picture window out, (in my tenant's unit) leaving the two side windows, and installed a new garden door, and patio.

In spite of the summer drought, the garden was awesome; grew all heritage/heirloom tomatoes, and even some Kumatos, with seeds harvested from grocery store tomatoes. They were all awesome. The brugs did amazingly well and am in the process of having one officially named/registered with the ICNCP (International Code of Nomeclature for Cultivated Plants). That's a big Whew Hew!

In September, my brother got a liver transplant, and is doing extremely well. Chris started college, first in the Electrician program, which did not work out for him, due to hand/eye co-ordination and fine motor problems; switched to pre-health and is getting 90+ in almost all subjects.

Joined the Horticultural Society, and the Master Gardeners of Sudbury, and am taking the Master Gardener (in training) program, via distance learning courses from Dalhousie University; loving it, thus far.

Just heard my youngest son is expecting their 2nd baby in April; Whew Hew! Grandchild # 6!

My mom is coming up to her 92 birthday, and is doing well, considering she has advanced Alzheimers. She is now loosing her language, so, it is difficult to understand her, or vice versa. Very sad, sad disease, for the family, but, surprisingly, my mom is always happy these days.

And, that's all my news!
Lulu

Postby B_BQ » Nov 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Lizcordysmum wrote:The Guardian ran some receipts yesterday - several recipes by different WORLD FAMOUS chefs (uh huh, just ask them!) for making your dear old Cauliflower Cheese, every which way but loose.

What a coincidence! I had to check it out for myself. Cauliflower cheese is not highfalutin!

This was a staple in our household, with four children and two adults. One large cauliflower for the whole family. We all loved it. My mother had to find a way to fill us up on the cheap, and cauliflower cheese did that! (When we first came to Canada I was gobsmacked to see the price of cauliflower in the supermarket - it was more than 10x the price of a cauliflower in England!). It is still much more expensive here, but that's what we have to pay if we want it!

After trimming the cauliflower, (but leave whole), I gouge out a hole in the bottom and pop it on the centre post of a steaming basket. Then I steam for about 5 minutes only. I then break it apart into nice big florets and put it into a small casserole dish, make a cheesy sauce, (I almost always use old strong white cheddar), add a dash of nutmeg and a nice pinch of hot smoked paprika. Pour the thick sauce over the cauliflower, and top with Panko and grated cheddar. 30 minutes or so at 350 until nice and brown and bubbly and cooked perfectly. Not watery at all.
Beef Stew with Cauliflower Cheese:
IMG_3232.jpg

I enjoyed reading The Guardian; it made a nice change from The Telegraph, which is now only going to be available online to those who are prepared to cough up money for a subscription. I'm not ready to do that yet, so will try to keep up with UK news via other free newspapers. I've bookmarked The Guardian.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm

BBQ, likely we shall be two ships passing in the night, on the Guardian. I love the speed with which I can move around "in there." Also, the gardening stuff, because while I cannot get all the new things here, I do have the climate. IF only I had hedgehogs, happiness be complete.

Your collywobblies looks loverly, I could make a meal of it all by itself. I'm going to try Gruyere, BUT, my collie must be broken into small pcs.

(I don't know why we hate the thought of paying for on line newspapers, we never complained about daily delivery...but BOY! the nerve of charging for what was free really annoys!)

LULU...GREAT seeing you here! Am so proud of YOU, and Georgie and Gracie!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Scrapinthehat » Nov 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Orchidguy...I MUST CONCUR with Lizcordysmum...I consider your life far from boring. Can't wait to see pics of all your new projects (yes that was a lame hint...ha.ha). You have your very own Butchart going on there!

Lulu...I've often wondered about the Master Gardener program. Good for you! I may have to check into it once my Finance course is complete.

Normally we put lights up on the front bushes and around the front door and veranda (a couple thousand), but didn't get around to it this year. I decided to do more fall clean-up instead of worrying about lights. I do have 900 lights on top of a pergola and 600 lights on the two archways (300 each). They are on timers and run yearround. Today we put up a 3' wreath with 200 red lights on the chimney up the back of the house and we will add a porch tree to the front veranda. Not much, but its something.

I had full intention of planting several bulbs (well....several for me...not considered several for Dan!!!) this fall....even had the list made, just didn't happen. Well, before the first snowfall 6 dark purple Hyacinths found their way into my garden. Never tried them before so looking forward to those in the spring. Once again, not much, but its something. At least the Crocus and Daffs planted last fall will multiply so there will be more to enjoy next spring.

I haven't been very creative in the kitchen lately. I used to try making a new recipe every couple of weeks or so, but it hasn't happened for months now. Just got out of the habit of doing it I guess. Although I started Christmas baking...ginger snaps, dark chocolate smartie cookies (red and green xmas smarties only), and tiger butter...yum! They will be gone soon I'm sure, but that's half the fun.

My son moved out this summer...off to continue his schooling. He is working toward a business degree. The house is much quieter and we go through much less food now, especially with his friends not dropping by either. I'll have to save some baking for him though.

I've started using a treadmill. I won't be participating in any marathons and am not training for anything in particular...just staying relatively fit. (I don't feel quite as guilty when I eat pizza if I've burned a few hundred calories on the treadmill).

Well..I've definitely blabbered on enough!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Next

Return to Over the Garden Fence