Garden Gallery - Gardening Forums

Good for a laugh!

Show off your gardening photographs in our Garden Gallery of beautiful plants, stunning landscapes, garden pictures, and wildlife visitors.

Good for a laugh!

Postby Melroche » Sep 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you nursed a weed and gave it ideal conditions to live in? This photo is from the first year we lived in Brantford. I had moved all of the perennials from my huge garden in Madoc to my mother-in-laws garden to over winter while we got settled in to our new home. We planted everything and what I thought should be my blazing star was not and in fact was something that I didn't recognize..being that it was so early in spring..I thought I would just let it be and see what it was. I thought perhaps it was something my mother had dug up by accident - It kind of looked like it might be by cupids dart...but the foliage wasn't quite right. It got bigger and bigger and I became more intrigued. It had soo many buds on it I was astonished...turns out it was a wild aster - a weed...boy did it LOVE my newly amended soil lol. Thought I'd put these pictures in here for you all to see.
Attachments
three.jpg
A close up so you can see how many flowers were on this crazy plant!
two.jpg
It was huge!!
one.jpg
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Re: Good for a laugh!

Postby maryjanej » Sep 25, 2012 4:42 am

Very nice show Melroche
I actually dug one out of a ditch to plant on my property on purpose, I actually like the colour and the show it gives and bees really like them too.

Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby maryjanej » Sep 25, 2012 5:18 am

Here's a couple of pictures of mine in the back row not has big as yours are lol...
IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby growitall » Oct 19, 2012 9:08 pm

In gardening terms, a "weed" is any plant in a place where you don't want it... But a more useful definition for "weed" is an introduced (that is, nonnative) species. Your plant is (likely, without having keyed it out) a native aster that came up in your yard from wind-blown seed. Many native plants make excellent garden subjects!
(Be aware though others are invasive.)
growitall

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Nov 17, 2012 12:12 am

I know they are a weed in a forml cultured garden but I had them in my "wild flower" garden up North. I also was able to transplant wild; "Indian Paintbrush", Lupin, yarrow and several others. Some plants/flowers I've seen growing in the wild look lovely but when you put them into a structured garden, they seem to loose some of their charm.
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Return to Garden Gallery