Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

bringing plants in for the winter

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: bringing plants in for the winter

Postby orchidguy » Nov 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Brenda,
The hardy Fuchsia magellanica is indeed hardy up here. I have had 5 cultivars growing against the greenhouse for the past 4 years actuallyreceived these plants as gifts) and they've come back every year. They bloomed 2 years in a row, but didn't produce bloom last growing season, because of the drought-like conditions.
I don't know if it is because of our harsher winters, but after 4 years, I would classify these as sub-shrubs and ave only reached about 2' in height and about 2' in girth.
I posted pictures of them a few years back, but didn't get any comments, so I thought they were probably more common than I had imagined.
orchidguy

Postby B_BQ » Nov 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh yes! Thanks for that information Dan.
You have such a variety of beautiful, exotic, out of the ordinary, plants, that I missed the pic you posted of your fuchsia.
I've made a note of it, and will certainly try to find one or two. I have a lovely warm spot, south facing, against a brick wall. I would love to try to grow one. My pic doesn't do it justice, as we were quite far away, and apart from knocking on doors and asking if I could take a closeup, I had to be content with a point and shoot digi camera!
It's weird the way some plants catch one's attention, and this one certainly did for me.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby orchidguy » Nov 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Oh, I just looked through my records Brenda, and I actually have 8 plants growing. Believe it or not, the first three free ones I received as a gift from ......(forgive me) Spring Garden

5 are planted at the base of the greenhouse (tropical) facing south and the other 3 are planted at the base of another greenhouse (sub-tropical) with an eastern exposure. They are in rich, humusy soil, and are grown behind some standard trained shrubs, so all receive a good amount of shade. I don't cover them for the winter months, and notice about a 2" dieback on the branches every season. They have never been pruned and are very well behaved in their little section of the gardens. I treat these like my wisteria, let winters cold do its destruction, and it saves me from having to prune during the growing season, as I just have to snap off the dead branch ends.

I also just remembered that the picture I've posted on here, might be under the heading of hardy alstroemeria, which is growing between the fuchsia
orchidguy

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Nov 17, 2012 10:40 pm

OMG is that ever gorgeous!! I have heard that some zones can grown the fuchsia bushes but have never seen one before! Last year I brought my hanging Fuchsia pot into our "unheated" SunRoom (windows all around) and kept it there all winter. A few times it got down below freezing in there - some things even froze in the fridge out there! I was pretty sure that the Fuchsia wouldn't make it but the crazy thing had 36 buds on it at the end of April this year!! I put it outside at the beginning of June and it continued to bloom right up until a few weeks ago when I brought it into the SunRoom again. I'm going to cut it back - either now or in the early Spring and hopefully it will keep going!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Nov 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Hmmmmm something funny is going on! I just posted a reply to this thread and "poof" it's disappeared! floating around in cyber-space I guess! Crap!

OMG I love that Fuchsia shrub! I have heard that one can grow them in some zones but have never seen one! Would love to be able to have one though. I just looked it up and it says "Although fairly hardy, this may also be wintered indoors in a pot, then moved out again for summer. Plants benefit from a hard clip each spring, to keep them bushy and compact. In Zone 6 a heavy mulch in late fall will help to bring plants through the winter. " I may just try one.

Last year I had a hanging potted Fuchsia and for a lark I brought it into the SunRoom (unheated - windows all around) for the Winter. There were several days that were below freezing (things froze in the fridge out there), so I didn't think it would survive. At the end of April it had 36 buds on it, I put it outside at the beginning of June and it continued to bloom til a few weeks ago when I brought it back into the SunRoom. Hopefully it will survive again! But I'm going to look into a Fuchsia shrub - Fuchsia magellanica (bush Fuchsia)
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby otnorot » Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm

I just bag my geraniums for the winter,but I pot up all my Gerberas and this is what I'm getting right now.
otnorot

Postby Carrem » Nov 30, 2012 9:21 am

I guess all the plants Bring in for winter needs nothing special do with them except some care and cuting around them, as they grow by their self. But when it comes to Summer they need some special care about how much of heat and light they need in day and also need some water to be pured on them.
Carrem

Previous

Return to Plant Talk