Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

iMAC EXPERT NEEDED!!!

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

Re: iMAC EXPERT NEEDED!!!

Postby davefrombc » Nov 15, 2012 3:17 am

I'd suffer severe withdrawal if I lost my high speed access too. XP was a great OS.... Still is..... but Windows 7 is far better..... once you get used to all the changes. I haven't tried W 8 yet , but from what I've seen and read it is another big jump with quite the learning curve to make the transition .. I'll stay with 7 in here, but I'll put Windows 8 into a laptop running Vista now. I imagine the younger crowd with their smart phones and tablets will like W 8 with its touch screen capabilities and PC / laptop / tablet / smart phone integration.
I'm glad I missed the DOS years and command line input.. What a nightmare that would have been for me with my typo abilities.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby lindamct2010 » Nov 15, 2012 10:39 am

Hi Mare! Nice 2 c u back. I had a nice lengthy note written last night 2 u and the submit wasn't successful :roll: Poof, not sure where it went! I have had troubles with the forum for quite some time hence the change from Lindamct to Lindamctthefourth! LOL
lindamct2010

Postby bluewillow » Nov 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey MareO ...... long time and happy to see you once again.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Postby MsMew » Nov 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Awfully nice to see you, too, Lindamctthefourth, Lulu, Tante and Blue!

Linda4, don'tcha know you have to hit "copy" your message before you "Submit". Just in case. Neither do I. Laff. NOT done that hundreds of times. Rhetorical: Why is it our most important and/or longest messages are the ones we neglect to "save" before their possibly going AWOL?

Blue O', Friday I was at me dealer on Willowdale Ave North of Sheppard. Double sawbuck to restore the password problem. Dave and Heidi, your instincts/advice were keee-rect in my needing to see a pro. Apparently I should upgrade to v.6 in order to get up to speed with everything else but I didn't have $200+ in change handy. Tecky assured me iMac would be fine till the New Year. :P

Deep thought for the evening. When this forum was youngish, Lizbeth, Ruby and a few other ladies used to post in the morning what they were doing at that moment and what they'd be doing later on and planned to meet again "here" to discuss. Harmless stuff, completely. Some trite rube(s) gave them crap for using the CG forum as a message board and that practice disappointingly sorta discontinued. In retrospect, they were Facebook pre-pioneers. Just a thought! ;o}
Last edited by MsMew on Nov 18, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MsMew

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

I remember early days too...when the early easterners used to "meet" for coffee/tea, and muffins.

Every time by the time I (being a westerner) woke up and came aboard, there was nothing left but crumbs.

But I painted a Muskoka chair purple, and Betty in N.S. claimed it as her own, way back when.

CBC Radio used to unite Canadians coast to coast, from that Longest Undefended Border in the World right up to the Arctic....so far, it is still Sears Catalogue trying to do the same...delightful speaking with someone in Nova Scotia and asking them if they are going to go to some fun thing mentioned on CBC that morning...hearing the surprise, the DELIGHT in their voice, that someone so far away knew about a something special to them...yep, MY Canada.

From what I have seen of it, Facebook appears to be all about me, me, me.

On the forum, we are hungry to hear from YOU, and YOU, and YOU.

Think of the friendships...how many of us have lovely plants growing in our own gardens that came via a faraway friend on here?

And how many of you are going to make me snow-angels? Every year, for the past ten, some folks have done this and posted pictures...I saved them ...I treasure them...

And SHIRLEY it is time for another long batch of Pet Photos, is it not? Remember how crowded the imaginary Patio used to get with everyone's dog(s) and cat(s)roaming underfootside and gobbling up crumbs?...whilst gardeners looked about your garden to see how well THEIR whatever was doing? (and some were inspired to go on and do this in Real Time, too.)

That was what it was all about. Simple fun, simple folks...Tis a gift to be simple, as I keep saying.

Welcome HOME, everybody...hope you brought your coffee/tea mugs!

And yes, I do know we are moving with the Times, as well. We'll keep this in mind as we never never, ever talk about gardening on this CHAT forum!

Oh...I planted my indoor narcissus and a gorgeous amaryllys too...anybody else started?
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby MsMew » Nov 18, 2012 11:07 pm

[quote="Lizcordysmum"]I remember early days too...when the early easterners used to "meet" for coffee/tea, and muffins.

Our old buddy Craig was there, and the indefatigible Jimbo of course!

Every time by the time I (being a westerner) woke up and came aboard, there was nothing left but crumbs.

Well sheesh, that'd be 12 hours later, wot? laff

But I painted a Muskoka chair purple, and Betty in N.S. claimed it as her own, way back when.

Since then I have Muskoka chairs à la plastique knockorfs in mauve, sage and bleu.

CBC Radio used to unite Canadians coast to coast, from that Longest Undefended Border in the World right up to the Arctic....so far, it is still Sears Catalogue trying to do the same...delightful speaking with someone in Nova Scotia and asking them if they are going to go to some fun thing mentioned on CBC that morning...hearing the surprise, the DELIGHT in their voice, that someone so far away knew about a something special to them...yep, MY Canada.

From what I have seen of it, Facebook appears to be all about me, me, me.

This aft a high school daze friend dropped by [being a gent, he'd given me 24 hours notice harhar] and we talked about that very thing, Tante.

On the forum, we are hungry to hear from YOU, and YOU, and YOU.

I suppose there's a difference?

Think of the friendships...how many of us have lovely plants growing in our own gardens that came via a faraway friend on here?

And think of the heartbreak when some shared seeds didn't 'take" and how in God's or Whoever's Little Green Acres does the miserable misgrower let the donor down gently?
"Inge and Brenda, I have TERRIBLE news this year.... :cry: "

And how many of you are going to make me snow-angels? Every year, for the past ten, some folks have done this and posted pictures...I saved them ...I treasure them...

Yeah! Somebody should start A SNOW ANGELS NONTEST©Lynn!!

And SHIRLEY it is time for another long batch of Pet Photos, is it not? Remember how crowded the imaginary Patio used to get with everyone's dog(s) and cat(s)roaming underfootside and gobbling up crumbs?...whilst gardeners looked about your garden to see how well THEIR whatever was doing? (and some were inspired to go on and do this in Real Time, too.)

That was what it was all about. Simple fun, simple folks...Tis a gift to be simple, as I keep saying.

Welcome HOME, everybody...hope you brought your coffee/tea mugs!

And yes, I do know we are moving with the Times, as well. We'll keep this in mind as we never never, ever talk about gardening on this CHAT forum!

HORRORS! Never ever. But it's okay for me to add a gardener I miss being SueF., Tante? Just for the record. I hope she's doing wonderfully wherever she is.

Oh...I planted my indoor narcissus and a gorgeous amaryllys too...anybody else started?

HEY! I can't talk gardening HERE! LAFF!!

[ /quote]
MsMew

Postby Lizcordysmum » Nov 18, 2012 11:49 pm

I MISS Craigers. I MISS Sukie.

Every Thanksgiving, every Christmas...I visualize Suki making her turkey gravy. Her own sweet self.

And Craigers...dear, gentle, caring, steadfast Craigers...

And I miss the Contests. March Winds, Autumn Colour (when Green had to be declared a colour too, so I could play.)

I have missed chitty chat amidst a long chat lline, such as we are doing now. And soon someone else would join in. and were Welcomed!

Jimbo...he was special before my time, got going good and he died far too soon...I know he was beloved for making Life interesting. I remember Rabbie Burns Days especially!

I miss Eeyore, and I miss K. Many many many good years, and good conversations binding us all together.

I miss the Diane, the lady who made soaps, and went on wonderful retreats.

I miss folks I haven't named.

remember the year we all got caught up in the craze to paint our lawn chairs in different colours? And suddenly, everywhere there were coloured plastic lawnchairs for sale in the stores...we set TRENDS, we did!

yes, the seeds that didn't take...and the ones that did, that SAVED (I still grow Lemon Cukes from days of yore!)...and more.

Do you suppose that Smitty is up for running a SnowAngelsNontest? I hope so. I sure hope to see Laura's Sarah doing it...and many more!

Memory Lane...a fun walk for some of us.

Meanwhile, the vicious winds seem to have finally died down, but I don't think it is safe to hang outside my pretty basket yet...methinks global change is gonna keep big winds beating us up, out here. Better winds, than earthquakes, thanks!

Tante.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby davefrombc » Nov 19, 2012 4:11 am

MsMew wrote:Awfully nice to see you, too, Lindamctthefourth, Lulu, Tante and Blue!

Linda4, don'tcha know you have to hit "copy" your message before you "Submit". Just in case. Neither do I. Laff. NOT done that hundreds of times. Rhetorical: Why is it our most important and/or longest messages are the ones we neglect to "save" before their possibly going AWOL?

Blue O', Friday I was at me dealer on Willowdale Ave North of Sheppard. Double sawbuck to restore the password problem. Dave and Heidi, your instincts/advice were keee-rect in my needing to see a pro. Apparently I should upgrade to v.6 in order to get up to speed with everything else but I didn't have $200+ in change handy. Tecky assured me iMac would be fine till the New Year. :P

Glad to hear you got the password problem fixed, not so happy at the cost , but I admit to being surprised they did it so cheaply; even though it was a simple job for them and only took a very few minutes. I'm curious, what do you need to upgrade to v.6 that costs $200 ? If it just needs a memory boost and the latest version of the OS, you could do that yourself for a lot less, I'm sure.
Tell me the model number of Your iMAC and I'll try see what costs of components would be to "upgrade" it .
Yeah . I should remember to save long winded posts as I'm writing them. I lost one as a reply in here earlier this evening. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Previous

Return to Over the Garden Fence