Over the Garden Fence - Gardening Forums

He's Baaackkk...

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of Java for a cozy chat about what's on your mind and what's happening in your neck of the woods. This is a strictly for fun non-gardening topics.

He's Baaackkk...

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 20, 2012 10:42 am

The darn Fox, that is.

A few years ago, a golf course near us was built clearing out a beautiful forest that housed many wild animals. The animals had no place to go except into our backyards.
I have seen lots of deer, turkeys, a possum, coyotes and of course the fox.

When the fox arrived, I didn't mind since he was eradicating the rabbits that over-run the area. Little did I know the fox would also kill cats.
One day I witnessed a neighbouring cat playing with the fox in my backyard. I thought it was cute until the fox suddenly grabbed the cat and took off with it in his mouth.
Then one day I saw the fox with one of my cats....he was ready to pounce on her but I ran screaming and yelling at him. Needless to say I was shocked........and scared for my own cats. I thought the fox would stay away if I was outside. Apparently not so. Then, after ridding the area of rabbits, I noticed the fox was no longer around, thank goodness.

My cats only went outside when I was with them and with lots of training, they did stay in our yard. They love to play and chase each other up trees which is a lot of fun to watch. After the episode with the fox almost killing my cat, I kept them inside.

So since the fox was gone for the last few years, the cats have been going outside with me without any fear. Until now.

The fox is back and the furbabies are house-bound.

They are so sad they can't go outside anymore and so am I.
I am considering building a large cat cage for them so they can have some fun and get some fresh air.
Now I need to convince my husband to build them one.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Re: He's Baaackkk...

Postby davefrombc » Nov 20, 2012 11:20 am

For a moment there I thought you spotted Marc lurking in here somewhere.
Instead it is another foxy critter chasing pu.....ummmmmm ......cats :twisted:
We have coyotes around this area, but generally the dogs keep most of them away.
Outdoor cats here learn to be wary .. There's the coyotes at night and eagles during the day . We have a lot of eagles in the area , especially during salmon spawning season .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 20, 2012 11:40 am

Somehow I knew you would be thinking I was writing about Dumbo 'cause that's what I was thinking when I wrote the title. He is a sly fox ; )
lol.. : )

I miss his posts too.

CdnChelsea

Postby B_BQ » Nov 20, 2012 1:52 pm

davefrombc wrote:...... pu.....ummmmmm ......cats :twisted:

Bad boy Dave, but then so was Marc!!!

Hopefully he will take a peek here once he's not so busy, (if that's what made him leave in the first place!). We need some lighthearted banter to keep us sane for the next few months.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby B_BQ » Nov 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Oh CdnChelsea, please keep your gorgeous furbabies safe! Yes, foxes are cute, but they are .... foxes, and are predators!

I have friends who live in Dundas, ON, and they lost two cats to owls one year!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby CdnChelsea » Nov 20, 2012 3:04 pm

No fear, bbq. The furbabies are safe and sound inside although all 3 of them sit at the patio doors crying to go out. It would be horrible if something happened to them. I could never forgive myself.

I really need to persuade my husband to build that outside cat enclosure. If I go outside alone to tend to the gardens, those furbabies get so upset. So much so, it breaks my heart, so I don't go outside either.
No point trying to sneak out the front door and go around back. One of them is always watching for any movement in the back yard.

I'm not happy being stuck inside either so I suppose I will have to insist on the cat cage. Heck, I will even pay for it!!

CdnChelsea

Return to Over the Garden Fence